Please sign in to post.

Ten days Portugal, early July 2018

basic facts:
1. mom travelling with 18 and 16 yrs old sons.
2. ten days at most.
3. We like walking, preferably on our own, so hope to have 3-5 good day walks. could be self-guided but if/where necessary will consider booking with a local guide.
4. I love driving and being independent, so will hire a car.
5. Big city/base: Lisbon or Porto? I've been to Lisbon twice. my boys haven't, but they insist on shorter trip (10 days rather than 14), so i prefer to go to Porto and let them discover Lisbon some other time on their own.
6. Slow travel: I like taking it all in slowly, but all seems so beautiful, so need to choose... north or center?
Any and all recommendations (incl. walking/travel guides, restaurants, accommodations. literally ALL. we didn't really even start looking into any of it, so all) will be most helpful! and deeply appreciated!
thanks, Naomi

Posted by
1671 posts

There are lots of areas to walk all over Portugal. There is a Camino in Portugal that ends up in Santiago de Compostela if you want that much walking. In Porto, the Douro Valley is easily accessible and I think walking in that area would be beautiful. Outside of Lisbon, the Sintra hills offer a lot of walking/hiking areas.
It really just depends on your preference. For this July I would encourage you to make some decisions about accommodations fairly quickly as the more popular areas of Portugal will be filling up.