Please sign in to post.

Tavira, Algarve , end of January to end of February , 2023 .

We visited Porto, Lisbon and much of the Algarve in Oct.2019 and loved it.
We want warmth in Jan and Feb. 2023 since my husband’s skin cannot tolerate hot weather BUT we want out of the cold of Ontario , Canada . We loved Tavira and have looked at places to stay there for 4 weeks and our question is what area would be the best to rent? #1 Tavira Tower,#2 Tavira , Faro #3 Tavira Island #4 Conceicao e Cabanas de Tavira #5 Ilya de Tavira Beach #6 Tavira Castle? We are not beach people but love to view water. Thank you
Sylvia

Posted by
6113 posts

Tavira isn’t particularly warm in January and it can be exceedingly wet and windy. It won’t be beach weather.

There isn’t any accommodation on Tavira beach, which is out on the barrier island. I wouldn’t stay in Faro.

I have stayed in Cabanas. We always hire a car for the duration, which is good value in the winter. The boardwalk is good for strolling and there are plenty of cafes for a coffee, wine or meal. It lacks character, but is popular with the Dutch, Brits and Canadians. There used to be some good deals around until the end of March, whereby if you stayed for 4 weeks, you only paid for 3 weeks. The train station is a few minutes walk.

There isn’t really any bad area to stay in Tavira itself, although I would avoid noisy properties near the busy N125 road. It is quite hilly.

Another smaller village nearby is Santa Luzia, although it’s not as convenient for the train station, but it has a range of good restaurants.

If you want more warmth in January/February, head to the Canary Islands.

Posted by
23 posts

Hi Sylvia,

We are from Seattle, but now live in Dublin. We came to the Algarve in December for the holidays and since I was back working remote, we have stayed to enjoy the amazing weather and people...just now heading back to Dublin on Monday.

I know you are focused on Tavira, but we ended up for the first month in Quateria and the past 2 months at Lakeside Country Club apartments in Quinta do Lago, just west of Faro. We are walking distance to the ocean, restaurants, tennis, golf and across the parking there is a covered heated swimming pool. I realize it is more manicured and not the cultural immersion, but for a long term stay it was great. We have loved every minute and with a car have explored the entire coast (we are actually heading back to Tavira today for lunch and a wander). The weather has been amazing (compared with Seattle/Dublin) with a few grey/rain days which perked up the landscape, which was a plus.

Feel free to private message me if you want more information on car/apartments as we have learned quite a bit over the past 3 months,

Jenine