Please sign in to post.

Tap Airlines

I am in the process of making our airline reservations from Newark, NJ m to Lisbon. Has anyone had any experience with TAP Airlines? I see that they offer some nonstop flights.

Posted by
3961 posts

We flew TAP from Porto to Madrid two years ago. We were pleased with the reasonable fare. I recall we purchased our tickets well in advance.
They were on time, and we appreciated the congenial crew. We would not hesitate flying TAP in the future.

Posted by
1666 posts

I have not flown with TAP from the States, but they are my preferred airline for flights within Europe. I’ve talked with friends who have flown with them from the States and they give good reports.
I would not hesitate to fly with them across the Atlantic.

Posted by
1829 posts

I just flew with them last month. Both within Europe and International to US.

The European flight from France to Portugal was Ok ; small plane for a short flight.
Check-in kind of a total mess ; they only had 2 people working and it seemed everyone on the flight showed up at the same time and had multiple bags to check.
They were overwhelmed and that delayed the flight. They were good about making sure every last person was checked in and got their bags onto the plane. Cannot recall the exact delay, maybe 1 hour.
There was a snack /some type of small sandwich on the flight that did not look appetizing.
Don't recall if there was any seatback entertainment on that flight.

The flight to the US though was great. Checkin more organized, left roughly on time and the plane ride was quite nice.
Great seatback entertainment (large screen, many new movies), reasonable comfort. Had blankets, earplugs, eye masks for everyone. Small gift bag filled with stuff for our young daughter which was nice ; best of any gift bag given from any airline I have personally seen.
Food was not very good ; usually it is not but I would say it was worse than the airline food I am used to.
Like most European airlines wine and beer are also free.
No complaints otherwise and really I would never pick or not pick an airline for the taste of the meal (which is included at no extra charge on TAP).

side note: TAP was very good about pre-boarding any families traveling with young children. This made our experience a better one, cannot recall the boarding situation for everyone else since we "skipped the lines".

Posted by
411 posts

Upgrade your seats.
The cheap seats (USA-Portugal) are cramped.
Our experience on TAP convinced us to start flying business class (because we have the money and are "old").

Posted by
114 posts

I'm watching their fares, I get updates from Scott's cheap airfare and occasionally see Boston-Lisbon fares for around $300.
I've read enough reviews to know they aren't a great airline and have more problems than other airlines. It seems that the airlines from Northern European countries run a bit smoother than those in the south. I live between Boston and Montreal and If I see a $300 fare on TAP from Boston I might grab it, but I'm hoping I can get a reasonable fare on Lufthansa from Montreal.

Posted by
31 posts

I just flew them to EWR to Lisbon, to Zurich and then back connecting in Porto.

We had cheap tickets so no checked luggage was included (and was pricey) and their stated dimension for carryon are rather small.

Only negative about the plane was that we ended up in the row of the bathrooms! Ugh, noisy. But otherwise pretty typical - seatback entertainment (for the flight over the atlantic, not our flights within europe). Mediocre food, typical cramped seats...