Please sign in to post.

Solo 50+ female in Lisbon for 3 days Easter weekend 2024

I will be in Lisbon on my own between two tours, coming in by train (or bus?) from Porto on Good Friday. I don' t want to stay in the tour hotel I will check into on that tour's first day (Tuesday), which is near Avenida da Ponte. I plan to walk a lot and take public transportation when necessary but want to stay in an area that is safe and interesting, restaurants, parks, people watching. Any areas to avoid on my own in the evenings? Also wondering how the Easter weekend may affect opening hours for public transport, restaurants, etc. My tours will include visits to many of the major attractions, so not planning those for the weekend.

Posted by
1677 posts

I would avoid Barrio Alto and the Pink street areas for crowds and noise at night. Chiado, Baixa and Principe Real would be my choices.

Easter weekend will not affect hours for restaurants, etc. But, the crowds will be increased and hotel rates go up significantly during that time frame. Book your hotel sooner rather than later.

Posted by
56 posts

Karen,
As usual, I echo whatever Kathryn says.
I also recommend Principe Real. I was ill for part of our last trip and my wife (65) felt quite comfortable taking herself out to dinner.
For a hotel, 1869 House (https://www.1869principereal.com/) is a real find. Plus one of the undiscovered best restaurants in Lisbon is about 100 feet down the street.
We have stayed in Principe Real 4 times over the years and loved it.
PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Regards,
Dennis and Elinore