Please sign in to post.

Sleeping in Porto airport

I have a flight next week that lands at OPO at 12:30AM. I will be traveling solo, I am 22, female. Is it safe to sleep at OPO and take the metro to city center in the morning, or should I just book a hostel and take a metro from OPO to the hostel when I land at 12:30AM? How safe is the metro vs. the airport?

Posted by
808 posts

The metro stops running at 1:00 a.m., so if your flight is delayed then that is not an option. If you are really concerned about your safety, then IMO you would be best to book an inexpensive hotel near the airport for the night. Head to the city center the next morning after a decent night's sleep. (which you will not get if you are sleeping in an airport)

Posted by
1082 posts

I haven't spent the night at Porto airport, but in Dec 2019 my teenage daughter and I spent the night at Lisbon airport between connecting flights. Our flight arrived late and the connecting flight was in the morning. Lots of individuals spending the night including a few families with kids running around. We stayed close to the food court area and used the McDonald's soft benches and charging outlets for our phone. Others arranged the chairs in the food court to sleep across them, etc. etc. This was airside, so there wasn't anyone that didn't belong (not have a ticket), and I felt safe. I wonder if you can stay airside after landing. If so, I'm thinking that might be safer then trying to take the metro and find your hostel late at night.