Please sign in to post.

Sintra or Cascais ??

For our night of a mid-October driving trip we'd like to choose between Sintra and Cascais. Any opinions or recommendations?

Posted by
5581 posts

We were just in Portugal in April/May of this year. We spent almost a month.

Cascais is lovely. Unfortunately, the day we went it was extremely crowded and hot.

Are you interested in seeing the palaces in Sintra? We really enjoyed the ones we went to, it was a highlight of our almost month long trip to Portugal. If you are not interested in the palaces, then I would see no reason to go to Sintra, and I'd pick Cascais.

Posted by
1672 posts

Mid October is lower tourist season and a great time to be in Cascais. It is definitely less crowded than Sintra. I’d encourage you to look at pictures and read a bit about both towns. You would be much closer to the palaces in Sintra. Cascais doesn’t have the blockbuster sites but is a lovely town with lots of good restaurants and nice small beaches.

Posted by
55 posts

We will be in Cascais in mid-October during our fourth visit to Portugal. I have been to both Sintra and Cascais in the past and believe that Cascais in October (post high season) would be more interesting.

If you are in Sintra for a night, I don't know if the castles are even open late. Other than the castles, there is not much there there in my opinion.
Dennis

Posted by
6540 posts

Two completely different atmospheres so it depends on what you like, or want, to do that night.