Please sign in to post.

Sintra New Year's Eve and Day 2021-2022

HI
We are looking for a quieter New Year's Eve. We hear Sintra can offer that. However, does anyone know if the restaurants will be open with regular menus and not the price fixed "special" evening meals? Also, on New Year's Day, is there something we can do in Sintra as well as find restaurants? I understand many things will be closed.

Also, looking for suggestions on doing a day trip from Sintra or a day trip from Lisbon depending on which has better options. We will be staying in both areas.

Lodging recommendations for Sintra that would be walkable to restaurants for dinner as well as the old town area.

Thank you

Posted by
4573 posts

I wonder if Cascais would offer more options? A short term let would as well. Often they are in neighbourhoods, which realistically are not all celebrating to the wee hours.

Posted by
2455 posts

In Sintra, I stayed at, and very much enjoyed both the inn and the people, Chalet Saudade, on a quiet street. Near some restaurants, a short walk from the train station, and a healthy but very lovely walk from the center of town. The owner/manager (can’t remember her name just now) is totally bi-cultural, having been raised in the US, with Portuguese heritage, then re-located to Sintra to operate this B & B and a nearby restaurant. I’m sure she could answer your questions about travel conditions and outlook for Sintra, New Year’s Eve, etc. I really loved Sintra, beautiful small town; several beautiful estates, parks, gardens, museums, etc. Many good restaurants, bakeries, etc. Of course Lisbon is wonderful too, but much, much bigger and a very different experience.