Please sign in to post.

Sept 2019 Portugal and Morocco

I only have 14-16 days . Morocco seems to be a favorite of my friends. i don't see how to get in Lisbon and Porto areas.
Should we go to Lisbon and stay south?
I live in So. Calif. so beaches not real important. Where to fly into? Any suggestions? I think train or drive seems better than the waits at airports. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
16893 posts

Maybe you can clarify your questions about airports. I doubt that you would fly within Portugal, for instance. Most people somewhat automatically choose to fly roundtrip to/from Lisbon and do the rest by ground transport. But it should also not be difficult, nor much price difference, to book an open-jaw or multi-city trip plan, into one city and back home from another city, whether or not it's in Portugal.

There's plenty to see in Portugal in two weeks, so don't be distracted by Morocco if it's not your priority. There are nonstop flights from Lisbon to Fes or Marrakech (recommended destinations) and Casablanca or Tangier (gateway destinations where most visitors don't stay long). None of these run daily, so you have to search based on your schedule. www.skyscanner.com, for instance, will do a wide search, such as "from Lisbon to Morocco" and will search specific dates or whole months. Porto is likely to have fewer flights, but there is service to Marrakesh or Casablanca.

Posted by
11153 posts

Go to Portugal or Morocco, not a combination of the two.
Tour Portugal from Lisbon to Porto. We spent two weeks in Portugal before going into Spain.

Posted by
7661 posts

Portugal as great. I enjoyed Morocco as well, but to me Portugal is great for two weeks.

Spend minimum of three nights in Lisbon. More if you do day trips to Evora and Sintra.

Then head up to Porto. Stop in the small, but quaint town with a Roman wall, Obidos. Check out Batihala Cathedral in the area.

Cascais is nice or Navarre for lunch overlooking the ocean.

Porto deserves 2-3 days. Also, go up the Douro Valley. We did a 7 day river cruise that was fantastic. If you don't want to do that, take a one day cruise and/or take the train, which run on the north shore of the river. The Douro Valley is very scenic.
Take a day trip to Santiago de Compostela in NW Spain.