Please sign in to post.

Seeking Lisbon Visitor Information

As it turns out, I might only have one full day in Lisbon. I might be going to Lagos another full day. And then there will be the day that I arrive and the day that I leave.

Can anyone recommend a company that provides day trips to Sintra and Belem?

And if you could only see one museum and one other sight in :Lisbon, what would you recommend?

I am thinking that I must see The Tile Museum? Is there anything else that I must see or do given I have limited time.

There never is enough time, is there.

Posted by
1324 posts

Since you have very limited time in Lisbon, I recommend you focus on the waterfront area (Monument to the Discoverers) and Belem, then head East to see the Tile Museum since that interests you. Maybe, if you enjoy music, take in a fado concert to end the day. Be sure to eat some pasteis de nata while you are out and about. A trolley ride is hair-raisingly fun.

Posted by
1945 posts

Hello Linda,

As it turns out, I will have two free days in Lisbon. I have my day of arrival and day of departure. But there will be three full days i in between. One of those three might be going to Lagos. So, I now do not feel so pressured to see Lisbon.

Posted by
3177 posts

No need to hire anyone to get to Belem. It’s a short trolley car trip and easy to do on your own. I’d also recommend the Gulbenkian Museum. Mid-sized, diverse collection, great cafeteria! With such short time available to you, I’d suggest taking the walking tours in Rick’s guide to enjoy the the city of Lisbon. Sinatra would be a worthwhile day trip but I don’t think it would be the best use of your time to take an almost 6 hour round trip to Lagos - even longer if you don’t have a car.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Phil,

I think you'll love Lisbon, and you should be able to see quite a bit even in just a day or two.

Castelo de Sao Jorge is a great option for a singular sight. It's also close-ish to the Tile Museum if that's a must see for you. The castle is definitely more of a place to walk around and explore than a museum (although there is a small museum with archeological finds on the grounds). Great views of the city from every angle too.

If your goal is to be in Belem, it would be more convenient to see the Jerónimos Monastery, which was also a highlight of our trip. The building itself is gorgeous and has a ton of Portuguese history packed inside. It's also right next to Pastéis de Belém which is a great spot to try Pastéis de nata.

Also if you make it out to Sintra, I can't recommend the Castelo dos Mouros enough. Once again, not much in the way of exhibits there, but standing on a windswept castle wall looking off into the Atlantic is a pretty cool moment. Pena palace is also a neat stop, but in my opinion the outside is better than the inside since you'll be crammed in with a thousand other people unless you're there for the first entry slot.

If you do end up having extra time, we still talk about our stop at Bifanas do Afonso on a weekly basis. Great (and fast) local sandwich. You can grab a bifana and a Sagres beer, sit down on the curb and possibly have the best meal of your trip.

Posted by
1324 posts

Bostonphil7, if you have the RS Portugal guidebook and his travel app, do one of his walks. I have found them very informative. My little touch of Portugal in 2015 was quite short because it was toward the end of my Spain trip. I had to look back on my trip report to see what I did. The report, although quite dated, is attached if you are interested. Skip toward the end of the report if you are not interested in my entries for Spain.

In 2015 I did not make it to the tile museum but will make sure it is included in my upcoming return trip to Portugal in October. Have fun planning your time in Portugal.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/spain-touch-of-portugal

Posted by
1945 posts

Hi Philip

It is a long ride to Lagos, almost 4 hours each way. I am going to see an old friend. We met in San Francisco in the 1960's She is British and went back to England. She is now married and living in Portugal. I have not seen her since the 1960's.

I thought that she was living in Lisbon but no, that would be too easy. She did say something about coming up to Lisbon to see me. but I thought that maybe I would go south to see her . We'll see.

Maybe we will meet somewhere in the middle.

At least, Lagos is beautiful

Posted by
1945 posts

Thanks to all for your help.

I know that I am going to love Lisbon. Until I began my research, I had no idea that Lisbon and Portugal were so beautiful. And there was so much to do.

My cruise begins in Southampton and ends in Lisbon. The ship always comes in early. I plan to eat breakfast on the ship and no rush to get off. I will slowly make my way to my hotel possibly even walking. It will be only 9 or 10 a.m. when I leave the ship and check in at my hotel is not until about 3 pm

My hotel is in Baixa on one of the main streets and around or close to a famous square. I believe that my hotel is close to a monument and close to the waterfront.