Please sign in to post.

Sao Miguel, Azores

I will be going there for the first time on October 19, 2023. I want to know about accommodations costing from $100 to $150 per night and whether there are tour guides available. My family was from Furnas and relocated to Hawaii in 1882. Very interested in the entire island.

Posted by
269 posts

We stayed at Hotel Ponta Delgada and enjoyed it, but there are hotels closer to the city centre.

We rented a car and toured the island at our leisure, but there are tour companies - just look on TripAdvisor.

Posted by
472 posts

There should be plenty of hotels in October for that price range and even cheaper, all over the island. For the most part, these will be quality lodgings.

For a first visit, I recommend staying in Ponta Delgada. From there you have easy access to the entire island.

I use www.booking.com for all hotel rentals in the Azores. Most options come with free cancellation.

The link at the top of this forum has information pertaining to my Azores travel guide. In my guide, I devote a section to Azores genealogy research. My wife’s documented ancestral roots date back to the late 1400’s on the island of Sao Miguel.

You can private message me with any specific questions.

Carl

Posted by
1549 posts

We have used Gary Travassos twice. www.azoreantours.com.

He went above and beyond both times. Highly recommended. I know he also rents accommodation, though I don't know much about it. As I recall when we last saw him in 2019 he said it was a flat, and he was still renovating then. Memory may be failing me though.