Please sign in to post.

Renting a car

Hi. Another question about traveling in Portugal. Is it easy to drive on the roads as long as you get a transponder? Seems pretty cheap, and the transponder seems relatively easy. And with the possible train strikes, counting on trains seems not smart. Any advice?

Posted by
1686 posts

It’s quite easy to drive in Portugal, as long as you stay out of Lisbon and Porto. The highways are relatively new and uncrowded, except for around the big cities.

Posted by
5703 posts

We are currently in Portugal. We rented from Sintra and drove around for 12 days and returned in Braga and took the train to Porto. Driving was very easy with a transponder and my maps.me app. Sometimes parking was difficult (like in Braga)

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
There are three types of driving conditions in Lisbon. Starting with 'don't do it', is Lisbon and Porto. Then there are the secondary roads. I am including most everything in this category except the four lane highways. They are in good condition, however, as you approach any settlement you will encounter housing and small businesses which makes the driving slow. And by approach, I mean for miles out of the settlement. People of course build homes and locate businesses where there is a road. And these secondary roads are curvy. And then of the course there are the four lane highways that with an auto pay devise are super. Fast, safe, excellent condition.

As a rule, I have found the roads in Europe in much better condition that what I find in the US. Romania, not your richest country in Europe, they were laying down what is called in the industry, 'permanent pavement'. In the US you may have noticed that the concrete on our bridges is usually in excellent condition while roads leading up to the bridges are cracking up. Two grades of concrete are used. I think Europeans are willing to pay extra for road surfaces that don't need to be replaced as often.

Enjoy Portugal. We sure did.

wayne iNWI