Please sign in to post.

Rental cars for seniors

I am a 77 year old traveler. Can I still rent a car in Europe? I have typically rented with Hertz.

Posted by
2311 posts

It may vary company to company and country to country. I would start with AutoEurope’s website, enter your cities and dates. There is a box to fill in your age. Then you will get a list of options.

Posted by
1666 posts

I’m renting a car starting tomorrow with Auto Europe. I’m 72 and entered my age when searching. I have no idea if it would have been cheaper if I were younger but there was no difficulty in getting a car.

Posted by
195 posts

Yes, you can rent a car!! My husband is now 80 and we just rented a car with AutoEurope (Hertz) for Portugal in March and for UK in August. Price was same as if he was 50 ( I checked)!!!

Posted by
2026 posts

This has been very informative. Thanks. We may have put Ireland off too long. Sorta sneaks up on you doesn’t it.

Posted by
195 posts

Not necessarily, Denny! I mean Ireland may still work... My husband drove there 3 years ago at 78....no issues with renting a car OR with driving there and we had a manual shift car. Don't give up without checking. We've traveled all over Europe and Australia and New Zealand, renting cars wherever we are, and have not had any issues because of age so far. We always take out full, non deductible insurance for the cars, too. Maybe that helps?? (It certainly would if car was damaged!!)

Posted by
2026 posts

Thanks Donna. No real plans for travel anytime soon, but it’s encouraging. Stay healthy