Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Question

Hello all, my family will be going to Portugal for eight nights in June. We are taking our 1-year old and 3-year old. Yes, we are crazy but love traveling with our children as we took our kids to Ireland last year.

When we arrive, we are going to rent a car at Liston Airport. Our last night of the trip will be in Sintra. Our flight back to the US will be at 9:30 a.m. out of Lisbon Airport. Do you recommend dropping the car off the night before in Lisbon or near Sintra (Cascais), etc..? I was thinking about using an Uber or private car service to go directly from our hotel in Sintra to the airport to avoid the stress of dropping a vehicle off so early in the morning.

Thank you.

Posted by
6788 posts

When we arrive, we are going to rent a car at Liston Airport.

Be careful about that. For most folks, flying a long way on a redeye (=no sleep), arriving exhausted, then jumping in a car and driving off is dangerous. Any chance you can re-jigger your plans to get to your first destination without renting a car (hopefully that's Lisbon or someplace else easily served by public transport), and then rent the car the next day?

I'll admit I've done something similar (fly in, rent a car, drive off...although not after crossing an ocean) and although I managed not to have an accident, I wished I had planned my timing differently since I was really exhausted just from the travel to get there. Personally, I'd be more worried about this than any stress associated with returning a car at the airport the morning before flying home. I'd just get up and load into the car at oh-dark-thirty for the drive in to Lisbon.

Posted by
1668 posts

Ditto on not driving upon landing if you can. Second, I am a real conservative when it comes to getting to my flight home. I always return the car the day/night before and stay in the city of the airport. Also, depending on the city, like Paris because the airport is crowded, I give myself plenty of time before my departure. I would suggest that as well given you have small children to prepare for the trip. Good luck to the Tar Heels.

Posted by
254 posts

Thank you all for the information.

Would you stay closer (than Sintra) the night before our flight? If yes, do you have a recommended hotel that is close to LIS airport? I am open to dropping the car off the night before as well and staying in Sintra. Packing / Unpacking with children can be stressful.

Thanks again.

Posted by
1666 posts

I agree with the other posters about driving right after your transatlantic flight. Driving out of Lisbon - or into Lisbon for that matter - will be stressful. The traffic can get pretty bad, especially during rush hours.

Getting from Sintra or Cascais the morning of your flight shouldn’t be a problem but I would likely drop the car off the night before. The time of your flight back to the States means you will get in rush hour so plan an extra 30 minutes (minimum) to get to the airport. I’ve never stayed close to the airport and have had no problems making flights as early as 7:00 am from Cascais.

Uber’s are plentiful and cost a little over 30 euros from Cascais.

Posted by
254 posts

Yes, I probably will drop the rental car off the night before.

What is the best way to get from Lisbon Airport to Sintra (without rental car)?
Thanks

Posted by
6788 posts

There's a train to Sintra that's pretty easy. Bus into Lisbon from the airport. Check the schedules, though - I've done both, but not on the same day.

Posted by
1666 posts

With two small children, I would take an Uber or Private transfer. There are many private transfer companies from which to choose and you can look up reviews before choosing. If you take an Uber, you need to go upstairs from arrival to the drop off area outside of departures.