Please sign in to post.

questions about itinerary

We fly into Porto and spend 2 nights then rent a car and drive to Douro Valley staying 2 more nights. First question: is 1 night enough for Douro Valley? Then we have 2 more nights to spend between there and Lisbon where we will spend 4 nights before flying home. If we limit 1 night in Douro Valley should we add that night to Lisbon or add it to our drive down to Lisbon? Would also appreciate any recommendations on where to stay on our road trip.

Posted by
3160 posts

Head a little southeast after the Duoro. Consider a night or two at La Cisterna, a great guest house in the disused hilltop town of Castelo de Rodrigo. Anna, one of the owners offers evening tours to see the petroglyphs in the nearby Coa National Park - a highlight of my visit to Portugal. From here you can head south for a stay in Evora and then it’s a short drive to Lisbon.

EDIT: Or you can return to Porto and head south with visits to Coimbra, Batalha, Alcobaca, Obidos and Sintra.

Posted by
1665 posts

One night in the Douro valley is really only a part of a day. Two nights gives you one full day.

I would add the other two nights to Porto and Lisbon. But if you really want some place between the two, Coimbra would be my choice.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello Vicki,

It's great you're coming to Portugal ;)

I agree with the previous comment - 1 night in Douro Valley is not enough. There are some places to see and you can't drive too fast on the N222 which is good for you to enjoy the scenery ;) You can make a stop at Lamego for example.

If you stay another night in Douro Valley, you'll be left with an extra night. I like Coimbra but you'll definitely won't see much in just one day (or part of it) so my suggestion would be the wonderful town of Tomar - you can make a stroll through the small but beautiful historic centre and then go to the castle and Convent of Christ.

Enjoy Portugal ;)