Please sign in to post.

Private Tour Guide Etiquette

Hello,

Anyone know the general guidelines for tipping a private tour guide for a full day's tour? Also, if we stop for lunch do we pick up their tab?

Thank you

Posted by
2681 posts

We took a private tour in Sicily in 2022. We did pick up our guides lunch and I did tip him. I tipped him because we were right after the pandemic and we had discussed at lunch how he and his family survived. Financially neither my husband or I were impacted and I just wanted to help him catch up a bit.

But tipping isn’t quite a thing in Europe. The only other time I took a private tour, I did not tip at all. We did not have a meal together but I would have bought her lunch.

Posted by
146 posts

We tip our private guides 40-50 euros for a full day depending on length of day and if the guides also drives and of course if we are happy with the service. If we have a guide and a driver we tip both. We also pick up the tab for any meals/snacks etc unless it is included in the tour cost. Tips have always been appreciated. Here is Rick’s tipping article which I have used as a guide. https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe

Posted by
9145 posts

To Beth - Europe is made up of many countries and tipping is different in each of them, but none of them come close to the mess that is the tipping culture in the US. Tips in Germany are not the same as tipping in Italy or Spain or Portugal.

As a guide, these are my experiences. Yes, a tip is appreciated, but you don't have to. If the tour did not meet your expectations, you musn't tip. If the guide went above and beyond, did extra research just for your tour, certainly a tip is welcome.
Picking up lunch is always appreciated.