Please sign in to post.

Portugal the month of February 2024 - 4 weeks

Two of us are all set to go!

We land in Lisbon on February 1st - we need help planning week # 1,2,3.

We do have an Airbnb in Lagos for week #4 February 25th - March 1 reserved
We do not have a rental car.... What do you suggest?
We fly out of Lisbon on March 4, 2024
THANK YOU!

Posted by
7569 posts

You have enough time to see most of the highlights. We went in 2020, did just over 3 weeks, but about a week, maybe a little more later. Weather was decent, some sunny warm days, with a few days of rainy weather.

Since you have essentially the last week fixed, I would then look at any additional time you might need in Lisbon right away (you have only 3 nights at the end right now), then take the train to Porto, and do what time you need there. Pick up a car in Porto, then maybe work your way to Lagos. The most common stops would be the Douro Valley, Coimbra, Tomar, Nazare, Obidos, Evora, then Lagos and the Algarve. Lots of other places in between. In the Algarve, Tavira is a nice day trip, with some neat history, plus a great beach nearby. The water may not be swimming quality in February, but on the right day, sitting on the beach works well.

You will be there during Carnivale, not real huge in Portugal, but some areas do nice celebrations. We were in Loule for Carnivale, but being in the Algarve, may not fit your schedule.

Posted by
1937 posts

I was in Lisbon in October and loved it. I was only there four days and it was not enough. If possible, I would recommend a week in Lisbon.

I can recommend a three star hotel in the Baixa neighborhood. It is called Be Poet Baixa Hotel. Gets very high ratings on booking.com and I ditto the ratings.

You will want to go to both Sintra and Belem.

There are four hop on hop off buses but I did not take any. Lisbon has great public transportation.

I was on a cruise and I took an excursion to Braga from Porto and yes, it was wonderful. I only spent a few hours in Braga but you are probably going to want to spend some time in Porto from what I have heard and read. Others forum members know the Porto area very well.

What are you wanting for Week 1, 2, and 3 ...

Posted by
11169 posts

In ranking of their importance:
Rent a car!!!
Lisbon, spend up to a week. We spent nine days there. Visit Sintra.
Then visit overnights in Evora, Obidos to visit Alcobaça, Batalha, next Coimbra, then Porto.
Study guide books and narrow down to what interests you!