Please sign in to post.

portugal south

Hi ,

Algarves which town do you recommend(beaches)

thanks

Posted by
6113 posts

You have asked the same question over several posts. As I said before, Tavira has the most character - the beach is 5 minutes away by boat on the barrier island. The beach is stunning. You can access it on foot from Barril.

The western end of the Algarve is very windy - some days you will not be able to sit on certain beaches all day long, as the wind will blow the sand. You will be ok in the small coves near Lagos, but these are very busy and have 100+ steps down to access. At the western end, I prefer Zavial, Figueira and Furnas beaches, but these need a car to access.

Up the west coast, towards Aljezur, I like the beach at Carrapateira, but all the beaches up this coast are stunning. If you want to be closer to Lisbon, the beaches around Comporta and Zambujeira do Mar are fantastic.

I would avoid the large high rise resorts such as Albufeira and Praia da Rocha and the soulless Vilamoura.

Most of the Algarve comprises modern resorts, not quaint, characterful villages, similar to much of coastal Spain, like Estepona that you have mentioned in another post.