Please sign in to post.

Portugal- Lisbon June 2018 Accomodation advice.

Staying in Portugal June 2018. Already have accomodations in Porto. will not have a car. Looking for an apartment in Lisbon for 5 people? Taking our 86 year old mom. Are any of the neighborhoods better or worse as far as safety, convenience to transportation and sites, and walkability?
Have to make this decision quickly and I do not have time to get RS' book.

Posted by
3159 posts

You have over 3 months and no time to get a book? You can download one on to a tablet or smart phone in moments! Don’t rush into a possible irreversible error without the knowledge you need.

There are some very hilly areas in Lisbon and your mother might have trouble navigating öthem. I would recommend the Baixa area in downtown Lisbon. Flat, close to metro, bus and trams.

Posted by
117 posts

I am booking an apt. in Lisbon for 5 people and for the days that I am looking at, in the price range that I am looking it is 70% occupied.
I was just looking for some quick insider info.
As I am booking by EOD

Apt I was looking at is in Baixa, other in Graca. Baixa apt also had an elevator.

Not a novice to this process rented apts for years in many countries, Europe, Central America etc. this only the second time accomodating our senior mom. So just a bit more cautious. Thanks for your reply.

Posted by
1663 posts

Do not stay in Graça. It’s at the top of the city with less than great public transport. Baixa would be my choice for your mother. And, it’s where I stayed my first trip here because I was concerned about the hills.
And, yes, Lisbon has become very popular so book as soon as you can.

Posted by
117 posts

Thank you Kathrynj and Jean. Just the info I was looking for!
Booked an apt yesterday, it looks well situated and great for mom.

Thanks for your quick reply, can always count on the forums to give good insider info.