Please sign in to post.

Portugal itinerary help

I am planning a 2-week trip in mid-late March. My flight is in and out of Lisbon.
I would like to visit Lisbon/Sintra, the Algarve (for hiking along the coastline) and Porto/Douro Valley.
Is this doable, or too much driving back and forth? Thanks!

Posted by
7513 posts

The Rick Steves Guide includes those areas, and more, in their suggested two week itinerary, so I would say that it is not too much. That is 3-4 nights in each area, I would plan a couple nights at each end for Lisbon. You probably have enough time to break up the Algarve to Porto leg of travel with a stop in between to slow it down a bit, somewhere inland.

Posted by
336 posts

Yes doable.
We did this back 2012. In 16 nights I thing
Started with 3 nights in Lisbon(we did Sintra at the end)
Went south to Lagos, great place for walking, kayaking is spectacular with the view on the coast. We spent 2 or 3 nights there.
You could head north by going to Evora and surroundings, it’s gorgeous, Unesco and lots of history. Make sure to see small white villages like Marvao and Monsaraz. You can spend 2-3 nights there
From there we went east to go north, doing Caceres and Salamanca in Spain, but you don’t have to. Though Salamanca is amazing.
You could back west toward Lisbon and start going north. Lots to see between Lisbon and Porto: Bathala monastery, Tomar convent, Almourol castle, obidos, Nazare, etc. I didn’t go to Coimbra but lots have good words about this town.
Then you arrive in Porto.
I agree with splitting Lisbon in 2, making sure you are close to your airport when you spend your last night. This is why we finished close to Obidos and did Sintra from there.

Posted by
1663 posts

It’s doable but you will definitely be spending a lot of time driving. The RS tours can do it because someone else is doing the driving, etc. I would not try to do all of this is two weeks.

There are many places to hike along the coastline closer to Lisbon. The Lisbon and Porto areas will give you more than enough to fill your time without driving all the way to the Algarve.

The Silver Coast area (between the two) has a lot of nice (more authentic Portuguese) places to visit with coastline all the way.

Posted by
6113 posts

How many days do you actually have on the ground excluding the first and last days which are effectively lost days? Covering the full length of the country will be possible but not enjoyable if you have 14 full days on the ground.

You can’t travel at the same pace as a tour doing it yourselves. I was on the Algarve mid March last year and it was very rainy. I second Kathryn’s viewpoint and drop the Algarve. Lisbon to the Algarve is a good half day’s travel, the same for Lisbon to Douro and Douro to the Algatve is a full day.