Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary for March 2024

My husband and I are traveling in/out of Lisbon for two weeks next March to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. We will have 14 nights in Portugal and will be traveling by train/bus only. This is our itinerary for now:
3/13 Arrive Lisbon stay 5 nights Hotel Avenida Palace
3/18 Train or taxi to Sintra. Stay 3 nights Chateau Saudade
3/21 Train or taxi back to Lisbon to take train to Coimbra for one night at Sapientia Boutique Hotel
3/22 Train to Porto for 4 nights at Hotel das Virtudes. Day trip to Douro Valley
3/26 Train back to Lisbon for one night
3/37 Flight home

We are 69 and 74 and prefer to take our time in each location to spend time sightseeing, but also to relax and enjoy the people, food and wine.

After reading up on Sintra and watching some YouTube videos, I think we would enjoy savoring this small town over a couple of nights rather than a day trip from Lisbon. I think the day trip would be too exhausting for us . Should we cut one night from Sintra (stay 2 nights instead of 3) and add the extra night to one of the other locations? Perhaps Porto so that we could do an overnight at a Quinta in the Duoro Valley or take a day trip to Guimaraes or Braga? Or should we keep the 3 nights in Sintra?

Any other suggestions or comments on our itinerary would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Karen

Posted by
2448 posts

I would suggest you give Coimbra another night (perhaps take it from Sintra, as you suggest). Otherwise, looks great!

Posted by
12 posts

Inbsig,

Thank you for the suggestion on Coimbra and the feedback on our itinerary! I agree that this would make our time in Coimbra more relaxed to explore and savor the experience there.

I guess I needed some reassurance that our two week itinerary looked ok and wasn’t too limited.

Thanks again! 😊

Karen

Posted by
269 posts

I suggest that you use the Hop On Hop Off Yellow tourist bus for sightseeing in Lisbon and Porto.
They have different routes to the major attractions and multi day tickets so you don't have to rush.

The buses run on a loop, you get off, visit the attraction at your own pace and then board the bus to next attraction - no chance of getting lost and you don't have to try to figure out the local public transit.

We have used this bus and liked it.
Both Lisbon and Porto are very hilly, using this bus saved us a lot of aggravation and our knees.

A couple of caveats, don't wait for the last bus ( it could be full) and in Lisbon the local transit buses are buses are painted yellow don't confuse the two.

https://www.yellowbustours.com/en/lisbon

Posted by
2448 posts

I quite liked the local public transit, myself - took the tram out to Belém, and the metro (which is gorgeous! Lots of tiles) to the Oceanário (Aquarium).

Posted by
12 posts

Aulopone,

That is great advice about the Hop On/ Hop Off yellow tourist buses. I was concerned about all of the hills, especially with my trouble knee, lol.

Thank you!
Karen

Posted by
1672 posts

Personally, I think three nights in Sintra is too much. It may be relaxing in the evenings but it’s a mad house during the day. That extra night would be better in Coimbra or the Douro. However, the vines won’t be much in March. But, the scenery of the Douro is stunning even without the vines being green.

Posted by
15584 posts

I spent 3N in Sintra in mid-May 2019. You've chosen a hotel that is very close to the train station and at least a 10 minute walk to the historic centre downhill - which means an uphill walk going back. There are some good restaurants near your hotel. OTOH I thought the area in and around the centre were much more picturesque with some nice views. And of course the sights are all within easy walking except for the Pena Palace and Moorish castle - but you can get to them easier and faster by tuktuk from the center than by bus from the train station. So I encourage you to look for accommodations in the center. It's much faster to take uber or taxi to/from Sintra which takes you right to the door. When I was there, uber fares weren't expensive. I also suggest you go straight to Sintra from the airport - it's about the same taxi/uber fare to central Lisbon and to Sintra. With 3N in Sintra, you'll have a relaxing afternoon and 2 full days - enough to see the sights. Then uber to the Lisbon train station (or taxi to the Sintra station) and take the train to Coimbra, That way you don't have to split your time in Lisbon. Because Sintra is quieter and you can see almost everything on foot, it's a better place to start your trip than a hectic, traffic-clogged big city.

I agree that spending 2N in Coimbra is better - unless you decide to get an early start from Sintra. If you go early in the morning (like 8-9 am), take the train from Sintra to Oriente and then get on the train to Coimbra. Morning road traffic into Lisbon can be horrible! Buy your tickets in advance - either online or in Sintra a day or two ahead. Buying tickets at Oriente station is very confusing and time-consuming.

Last bit of advice - get into condition if you aren't hikers. Everywhere in Portugal is uphill/downhill, some of it pretty steep, and lots of stairs.