Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary advice

Heading to Portugal in August. We arrive late morning on day one and have 2 more full days in Lisbon. I like to do a walking tour of a city on the first day but I also see that there is a great e-bike tour of the 7 hills in the evening, watching the sunset. Any suggestions for the afternoon? The next day we would go to Belem and then not sure for our third day. We also like hiking and would love suggestions for any early day hikes in a national park nearby. After Lisbon we rent a car and spend the day in Sintra and sleep in Cascais. We then head to Nazare, stopping at Obidos and Evora and spend 2 nights in Nazare, with one day to relax on the beach. We then head to Porto for 3 nights and head home, likely via Coimbre. Any suggestions are welcome and I especially need to figure out the daytime tours in Lisbon and don't want to do the bike tour at night if it really hits the same attractions as the daytime walking tour.

Posted by
1603 posts

I can make a suggestion for Belem. The Belem Tower usually has long lines. So, instead you could go to the top of the Discoveries Monument for awesome views of the Monastery, river, and port. There were no lines when we went, and you take elevator to the top.

If you like seafood, I recommend Cervejaria Ramiro, which is recommended by the late Anthony Bourdain. Delicious fresh seafood.

For additional sightseeing in Lisbon, I suggest Castle Sao Jorge and wandering through the Alfama.

Posted by
119 posts

What you describe sounds like a lot of running around. Portugal is better for a slower paced visit. What you describe is just a skimming of the popular tourist sites without much contact with Portuguese culture.
I would not recommend a rental car in central Lisbon, Sintra or Cascais. In my extensive experience in those areas, a car is more trouble than it is worth - navigation and parking in those areas are difficult for locals, and even more difficult for visitors. Public transportation is good, and not expensive. You can travel between Cascais and Sintra by municipal bus, taxi, or Uber. There are excellent train connections between Sintra and central Lisbon, and between Cascais and central Lisbon. August is the peak of the tourist season, and all of the places you mention will be crowded.