Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary Advice

We're going to be in Portugal in late April/Early May and I'd love some help with a tentative itinerary that I have arranged. Here's what I have so far. Each line is a day, parentheses indicate where we're sleeping, and the question marks indicate an unplanned day (I'd love some thoughts on where to spend that day and where to go. I know Germanic Europe and Italy like the back of my hand, but I know zero about the Iberian peninsula. Portugal experts, help me out!!

Arrive from US very early, Porto (Porto)
Porto (Porto)
Porto (Porto)
Duro Valley (A Quinta in the Duro Valley)
Coimbra (Coimbra)
?
Batalha/Fatima/Tomar (Obidos)
?
Lagos area overlooks/beaches (Lagos)
Boat Tour/Beach time (Lagos)
Tavira? (Lagos)
?
Lisbon (Lisbon)
Lisbon (Lisbon)
Sintra (Lisbon)
Belem (Lisbon)
Fly home

Posted by
11185 posts

Batalha/ Tomar/Obidos, You have omitted the best site! Visiting Alcobaça is a must see.
After the Duouro Valley go spend a night in Guimares at the former in town pousada, now a hotel, Hotel de la Oliviera.
If you prefer to go directly to Coimbra as in your proposed itinerary, stay two nights. We enjoyed our stay at the Quinta de las Lagrimas.
I would skip the Algarve. Use that time to visit Evora.

Posted by
6113 posts

I would drop the Algarve (you are early for guaranteed beach weather) and spend longer around Tomar/Alcobaca/Batalha etc and add another night to Coimbra. Add more time to Lisbon too. Cascais can be done from Lisbon.

I wouldn’t contemplate trying to cover so much ground in less than 2.5-3 weeks without the trip being rushed.

Posted by
882 posts

I like a day trip (at least a day - maybe an overnight) in Evora. Many interesting sites although quite a drive from Lisbon. There are tours available if that is of interest with hotel pick-up in Lisbon.

Posted by
1680 posts

I agree with skipping the Algarve this time. There are many more authentic Portuguese sites in central Portugal and you would be short changing them in favor of a longish trip south.

Spend more time in Coimbra and exploring the Silver Coast area. Two nights in a Douro Quinta isn’t too much. There are also Braga and Guimarães north of Porto, so adding a night to Porto would be good.