Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary Advice

Hi All,

Booked my first trip to Portugal at the end of November. I'm just looking for some advice on day trips from my 2 bases.

I'll be in both Porto and Lisbon for 5 nights each, so will be doing day trips from each location.

I know I want to do a Douro Valley trip. Do you recommend an expensive formal tour? Otherwise I was thinking of a train one direction to like Pinhao and then maybe a boat back or vice versa. Do I need to book something like that ahead of time? What towns do you recommend grabbing a boat at along the river?

I also want to do Braga and Guimaraes. Do you think both can be done in 1 day or should I split it up?
I was thinking a 3rd day trip down to Coimbra.

For the Lisbon portion of the trip, I know I want to do Sintra. Should I book tickets ahead of time for the castles? I've heard people recommend not doing the inside of Pena Palace due to overcrowding and how long it takes.

What other day trips would you recommend from Lisbon?

Posted by
11056 posts

From Lisbon, do a day trip to the walled city Evora which is more than 5000 yrs old.

Posted by
4540 posts

I was thinking of a train one direction to like Pinhao and then maybe a boat back or vice versa. Do I need to book something like that ahead of time?

I took the regional train from Porto to Pinhão about 10 days ago. I bought my outbound ticket (in the CP app) the night before and my return ticket while in Pinhão, after I'd decided how long I wanted to stay.

The scenery from about the Mosteiró station to Pinhão is breathtaking. Sit on the right side of the train outbound and left side if you take the train back.

Posted by
4540 posts

Do you recommend an expensive formal tour?

I did the day trip on my own, visiting Quinta do Bomfim to enjoy a glass of port and a cheese plate from their river-facing terrace. No reservation was required in October.

The train station at Pinhão is lovely, decorated in tiles with regional subjects. Beyond those, one tourist shop, and a little cafe where I got a cheap and delicious snack, not much else was open in the town itself during off season.

There was a little travel shop where you could book day outings, but it seemed more valuable for overnight visitors. I'd be inclined to book anything like that ahead.

Posted by
1043 posts

Sintra - last time I went, I bought the Pena ticket the night before so I would not need to stand in line (Park of Pena, not inside). I bought the tickets for the other sites while there since I did not know how many other sites I would get around to seeing, just decided as the day went on. So my answer, the must see places, buy the night before or the day of, and the rest just pick up as you go. Personally, I think people think they will see many sites and over schedule themselves. Much better to just take the time needed for each site to enjoy and not rush. For Sintra, I believe less is more. And as a side note, the tickets are not timed, except if you want to enter Pena Palace.

Posted by
38 posts

I did the day trip on my own, visiting Quinta do Bomfim to enjoy a glass of port and a cheese plate from their river-facing terrace. No reservation was required in October."

That sounds like a good plan. It says you can book a tasting on their website, but if I can just show up that would be easier.

Posted by
4540 posts

There were plenty of picnic tables on their terrace. I went on a Monday in mid October. Weekends might be busier.

If you do take the train along the Douro, go past Pinhao, all the way to the end of the line at Pocinho. If you don't you'll miss the most spectacular part of the ride. The simplest thing is to just get a return ticket, and ride the same train back. It's just as beautiful the 2nd time. I can't comment on the train/boat combination, but the boats only cover specific stretches of river.