Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary

We are planning a trip to Portugal in April and I am interested in feedback around the itinerary we are considering. We are going on a Rick Steves tour from April 1-14 and it ends in Sevilla. We are thinking of taking a train from Sevilla to Tavira, Portugal (in the Algarve region) to spend a couple of nights there. We want to experience the beauty of that area and take some time to chill out before travelling in Portugal. We will take the bus from Tavira to Lisbon where we plan to spend 4 nights with a day trip to Sintra on one of the days. Then, on to:
Porto (3 nights) with a possible day trip to Guimaraes
Viana de Costelo (2 nights)
Douro Valley (2 nights)
We were thinking of doing most of the trip using trains/buses with the exception of renting a car to go to the Douro Valley. We are now wondering if that is a good idea.

Questions:
1. Is the bus trip from Tavira to Lisbon a difficult one?
2. We considered going to Coimbra and/or Evora but eliminated those in favor of having more time in other places and a more relaxed pace. Is that sensible or is it foolish to miss the sites in those areas?

3. How difficult is it to experience Portugal (esp. Douro Valley) without a car?
4. How much of a hassle is it to have a car in the larger cities?
5. Any other feedback about this itinerary or must see places that we have missed
Thanks in advance!
Kimberly

Posted by
276 posts

Regarding Douro Valley:

There are river cruises and a train (Linha do Douro) which travel the valley. The train
goes from Porto all the way to Pocinho.

Douro Train

I don't know prices for the cruises, but the train is a measly 13.45 euros to go to the
end of the line one way.

If you want to tour, a car may still be the better option. To see the scenery, enjoy one or
two of the towns, and do some selective tasting, the train or boat + taxis seems like it
would work just fine. I took the train, spent a night in Peso de Regua, and enjoyed it
thoroughly.

Posted by
5687 posts

In 2018, I visited Lisbon, Coimbra, and Porto by train. I planned a day trip by train out to the Douro Valley (not for the wine, for the scenery), but it rained most of my time in Porto so I didn't feel like venturing out in the rain.

Porto is pretty small (much smaller than Lisbon) and pretty easy to navigate on foot. There is a tram and some bus service but I don't think I used it. I used it extensively in Lisbon.

Both Porto and Lisbon seemed very touristy to me, more than expected. Coimbra did not - in that sense it was a refreshing break between the two and was an interesting little town which I liked...but also didn't fall in love with. I'm glad I saw it but also don't feel compelled to go back, if you know what I mean. I guess I would have been disappointed to skip it just to add some perspective compared to the other places.

Is it possible you could stop for a few hours off the train and explore Coimbra for a few hours? It's pretty small though hilly. Unfortunately, it is a little inconvenient to day trip as a stop off the train there. You would have to find a place to leave your bags - but I'll bet I could find a hotel that would keep them near the station or something.

Posted by
1673 posts

First, I don’t think there is a train from Sevilla to Tavira. From my knowledge, a bus is the only thing that crosses the border.
Check also on a bus from Tavira to Lisbon. You might have to get to Faro to get the bus on to Lisbon. There are trains also. I’ve taken the train from Lisbon to Lagos and it’s easy. The long distance buses are quite nice.
You definitely do not want a car in Lisbon or Porto!
I’ve visited the Douro three times and never had a car. The train from Porto has some nice views and very inexpensive. You can stay in Régua or Pinhao. Quinta de la Rosa in Pinhao is lovely with great views of the river and vines. With such a short stay, I would not do a car. The taxi service in Pinhao is good and we were driven to other wineries and to the river for a short cruise. We could all enjoy the sites and the wine tastings!
You might consider dropping Viana in favor of Coimbra. It’s right on the main train line between Lisbon and Porto and is worth a couple of nights, IMO. It would be an easier stop than Viana.

Posted by
18 posts

It looks like the bus from Sevilla to Tavira is an Alsa bus. The one from Tavira to Lisbon is Alsa
/Rede Expressos. Reviews on Alsa bus company are mixed. Do any of you have experience with long distance bus rides with this company?

Posted by
3 posts

We live in Lisbon, but a couple of years ago with friends visiting we took them to Porto and while there we decided to visit the Douro Valley. We chose to join a small bus tour (9 people including driver) rather than drive so everyone could enjoy the views. It was a long day but very pleasant. We stopped at a few different wineries and port wineries, took a one hour boat ride on the Douro River and had a meal in a local restaurant. Other times we have driven there, but on this trip we were all tourists and it worked out well. Check the websites, I am sure there are several offerings from various companies. Enjoy!