Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary

I am in the early stages of planning my solo 21 day Portugal trip and I have RS’ Portugal book for my guide. I am looking at using RS’ map (Portugal’s Best Two Week Trip by Car) although I have more days and plan to use bus and train for transit. Part of the RS itinerary goes from Evora to Nazarene, but after reading some of the Portugal Forum pages specifically on itineraries, it seems that Nazarene is not highly recommended. Any thoughts on that perception or should I go to Nazarene to use it as a base for other possible sites such Obidos/Alcobaca/Batalha etc. hoping I can get around to these places from Nazarene. I also saw a post about Tomar being a lovely place to visit - any feedback on that stop? Tomar is ot mentioned in RS Portugal book. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted by
21 posts

A good article but I am aware of most of this information - also found in RS’s Portugal Guide without the glitzy photoshopped photos. I am wondering how this addresses my question about Nazarene? or Tomar?

Posted by
1669 posts

I think you are referring to Nazaré and will answer accordingly. Remember, RS includes his favorites in his books. They really don’t cover the entirety of any country. As you have read on this forum, Nazaré would not be my choice for a home base in the Silver Coast area of Portugal. But, it is fairly central to visit the places you mention. I used São Martinho do Porto as a base in this area and was pleased with it. It’s not as touristy (international tourists at least) and is a great place to drive all over the area. But, be certain to check train and bus routes in this area. The trains are scarce and infrequent só buses might be better. That said, driving in this area is very easy if you stay out of the big cities.
And, Tomar is quite nice. The Knights Templar convent is pretty special and there is the ruins of a castle outside of town. It also has a nice center area with a lovely river running through it.
I obviously use RS but never depend totally on his favorites when visiting any country. I’ve stayed in some lovely places that aren’t mentioned in his books.

Posted by
5687 posts

I was in Portugal a few weeks ago and traveled by train (mostly) and by bus. I visited Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto for a few nights each.
I also managed to visit Tomar and Nazare for a few hours each. Both towns were lovely. By train, between Lisbon and Coimbra, I managed to stop for a few hours in Tomar - a quick stop but doable. Nazare was harder to fit in - I did an impulsive day trip by bus from Coimbra (where I was spending two nights). I really loved Nazare and wish I'd spent a night there, but at least I go to see it.

Posted by
1506 posts

I'll offer an opposing view of Nazare and Sao Martinho. We have visited Nazare several times and really enjoy it. Nazare is on the sea verses Sao Martinho do Porto which is on a bay. In Nazare we stay in a hotel facing the sea and are able to watch the waves as we eat breakfast and dinner. We visited Sao Martinho only once and it was in September after the tourists had gone so it was pretty empty. We found it to be a more modern town and prefer Nazare with its beautiful view of the sea and the cliffs of Sitio.

Posted by
5687 posts

I must say, Carol: Nazare is the one place I really hope to go back to in Portugal someday and spend more time, if I ever return. Lovely town!

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you all for your feedback. Sounds like Nazaré would work fine for me. I will certainly need to check into the train and bus situation for some of these places. I keep hearing that driving is easy, but I am just not comfortable with solo driving etc. Carol - would you share your hotel name for Nazaré? It sounds lovely.

Posted by
1506 posts

Judy - It is Hotel Oceano and you can check it out on booking.com. https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/adega-oceano.html?label=gog235jc;sid=7ec4a0e40bfea997c7c1d14ccd48ab7d;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&#tab-main

It is family run and years ago it was a small pension. Over the years they have added rooms and updated it, though in the Portuguese style, and now serve some tour groups. We were last there in September 2016 and it was still owned by the same family. Though there are many restaurants nearby we generally eat dinner there because the staff remembers us from our previous visits. The owner, Sr. Vicente, as well as some of the staff speak English. There is a parking lot a short distance from the hotel.

You can drive from Nazare to Obidos on one day and Alcobaca and Batalha on another. Tomar and the Knights Templar Convent of Christ is something you should not miss if you have the time. On the way there from Nazare you will pass Ourem which has an interesting castle.

If you plan to use bus and train some of these sights will be more difficult to visit. We always have a car so can not offer any advice.
Whichever sights you choose you're sure to have a great trip!

Posted by
5687 posts

If you don't have a car, the best way to get to Nazare is by bus (how I did). The closest train station is in nearby Valado, so you'd need to get from there into town - local bus or taxi. I really don't care for buses so spent some time looking at how to do it by train. It is possible just not easy, which is why I opted for the direct bus instead. I took the bus from Coimbra, which is almost two hours easy way (about the same travel time from Lisbon). Check bus schedules here:

https://www.rede-expressos.pt/en/

Tomar is on the other hand very doable by train though it may require a few changes. I took regional trains north from Lisbon to Coimbra and arranged to go through Tomar and stop for a few hours, but it could be done as a day trip from either Lisbon or Coimbra.