Please sign in to post.

Portugal itinerary

We are going to Portugal in September, trying to arrange a 12 night itinerary. RS Portugal book has a 14 night itinerary so I’m trying to figure what makes the most sense knowing that we can’t cover everything. We are flying into Lisbon, would like to visit Lagos then head north and end up in Porto. We are traveling by train or bus, no car. Any advice?

Posted by
7688 posts

Personally, I would skip the Algarve and focus on Lisbon and the nearby area as well as Porto and the Douro River Valley as well as what is in-between.

Many people go to Porto, but don't do the Douro River Valley. We did a 7 day river cruise on the Douro and loved it. if you don't want to do a river cruise, take the train up to Regua or Pinhau and spend some time.

Posted by
485 posts

If you are not renting a car, I agree with the prior poster to skip the Algarve for this trip.
The easiest woudl be 4-6 nights in Lisbon, with possible day trips to Sintra Cascais and Evora. Then you could train to Coimbra, and probably bus to see Alcobaca or other sites near there. Finish in Porto with a possible cruise up or train trip up into the Douro.

Posted by
141 posts

Where are you flying out of? Since you are arriving in Lisbon it would make sense to spend a bulk of time there then work your way up to Porto and fly home out of Porto. We found public transit worked well (even though there were strikes which I see are still ongoing!). The Viva Viagem card which you can top off for public transit in Lisbon is super easy to use. We did not rent a car during our time in Portugal and had not problem getting to sights but be prepared for the walking as it is super steep everywhere! Get training now for a September trip!

Posted by
3 posts

We’ll be going to Port. In March, starting in Lisbon. Next will be Nazaré. What should we make sure to see/do in Nazaré - and are there some restaurants you would recommend there? We’re staying a nite or two there. Where would you go next? We plan to end up in Porto.