Please sign in to post.

Portugal in November

I’m hoping to go to Portugal next year and was planning to be there in September, at the beginning of a long trip. Now I’m considering going at the end, which would be in November. Can anyone advise me what Portugal would be like that time of year? Thanks!

Posted by
6575 posts

Last September we were there and the weather was great. We only had rain parts of a couple days. We wore short sleeves. My guess is that in November you’d be wearing long sleeves. Portugal is long so the weather in the north and mountains will be different than the south or by the beaches.

Posted by
4650 posts

Which cities are you going to?

In Oct, 2022 I was wearing short sleeves in Lisbon at the beginning of the month. By the 3rd week of October, in Porto, I was wearing a light jacket. In Porto that same week, I had one day of pouring rain that lasted a few hours.

Posted by
1678 posts

September is still summer with almost zero rain and warm temperatures. It could still be in the mid 80’s some days. November has started the rainy season with cool days and nights.

However, November will have many fewer tourists as September is really still high tourist season. Depending on where you are from, the weather may still be a big improvement, as the rain showers rarely last long.

Posted by
5 posts

We were in Porto for 2 weeks in late Oct and it was very rainy. More rainy than usual we were told. Be prepared for it. We still had a great time. After that 2 weeks in Caldas da Rainha. Rainy days as well.
Not cold for us, we are from Vermont.

Posted by
10235 posts

Thanks for your responses. I haven’t figured out our itinerary yet. I’m still working on our trip for this year. We have a long trip planned for this late summer/fall and a family situation is making me consider shortening the trip if I don’t have to outright cancel it. Portugal has always been earmarked for next year, but now I have to figure out how I can include places I would cancel this year, primarily Switzerland. Because Switzerland is more weather dependent I’m thinking that we should start our trip there and end in Portugal. We will most likely stay north. Beaches are not on my radar, even though I love the beach. I live in California and although not the same I can go to the beach here.

Posted by
1322 posts

Andrea, like many people here have said the weather will be cool and rainy in November. my trip last year included October 3 to October 19 and it was hot and sunny the beginning part of October in Lisbon and Coimbra, and somewhat rainy in Porto and the duoro valley later n October My guess is that the weather will be something similar to Northern California and southern Oregon.