Please sign in to post.

Portugal in March 2018? How long?

We are contemplating a trip to Portugal (first time for both of us) in early March? We are not looking for beach time so would this be a good time to visit? How many days are realistically needed? We could allot 8-9 given our schedule...Thoughts are appreciated!

Posted by
3 posts

Hi, I stayed in Lisbon and area (Sintra and Cascais) for 3 days (following Rick Steves itinerary advice). That's the only time that I spent in Portugal due to my travel schedule. If you just want a "general overview" and see major spots, I think that's reasonable. You mentioned that you're not looking for beach time, but if you're curious, the beaches were so beautiful!

Posted by
6113 posts

I am going back to Portugal in 2018 for the entire month of March! Eight or nine nights is just about enough time to cover Lisbon (six nights including day trips to Cascais and Sintra) then 2/3 nights either in Porto or Evora.

March isn't beach season in Europe, apart from the odd day here and there.

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks for the advice. We will have 7 nights so I am thinking 4 in Lisbon and 3 in Porto? Should I switch it and give more to Porto? We are planning on day trips out from the cities as well so I'm still not sure which city will need the extra day.

Posted by
6113 posts

I would do 2 nights in Porto as there is more to see in Lisbon and its environs.

Posted by
315 posts

Save Porto for when you can do southern France and Northern Portugal as a long trip. 7 night is a fine week as other have suggested.

Posted by
8 posts

Not exactly sure if you are going to do 7 days or 8/9 at this point.

However, assuming you'll now be doing only 7, I would spend 3 days in Lisbon, 2 days to visit central coast, Coimbra and Aveiro (which are all in the way to Porto) and than the 2 last days in Porto.

Regardless of being March, if you were a bit more into "beach" places or not only focused on cities exploration or if you decide to do 8/9 days, I would also definitely include the Algarve in your route.