Please sign in to post.

Portugal in January

Our daughter has moved to Barcelona and we are planning to visit in January. When she and her husband go back to work, we would like to take a short-hop flight to another place --- perhaps in Portugal. (I've also considered Prague, which would be cold but not as crowded at that time of year). We'd prefer to just stay in one place. So should it be Porto or Lisbon or ....where do you recommend? Thank you so much

Posted by
11505 posts

Lisbon would be around avg temp 58 F , Porto 55 so not too different from Barcelona,59.
. I like both cities in Portugal but Lisbon has more to see plus wonderful nearby towns to take day trips.

Posted by
1780 posts

I agree with Lisbon. It will be warmer and drier - but both are definitely not assured.

Posted by
6113 posts

Prague and Lisbon are popular weekend breaks year round. Lisbon should be warmer, but you may get precipitation in either, although in Prague, it’s more likely to fall as snow.

Lisbon has more to see than Porto if there for several days.

Posted by
15773 posts

Or see more of Spain. Andalucia is the warmest, driest part of Europe and you can get there by train in less time than you'd use for a flight.

There is more to see in Lisbon than Porto and good day trips too.

Posted by
2456 posts

Do you prefer to relax drinking wine, or beer?
You could certainly enjoy a few days in either Prague, Lisbon or Porto! I know I could!