Please sign in to post.

Portugal in December

Anyone traveled to Lisbon and Porto in December? Any advice recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by
271 posts

We were there last winter, expect cold, wind and rain.
Floods were particularly bad.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks. I dont mind chilly and rainy. Was it tolerable? Were you able to tour the cities?

Posted by
271 posts

For us it was okay because we are from North America - snow ,ice and below zero temperatures.
We actually found the temperatures great for walking because we never overheated but the buildings get cold and we needed the heat on at night.
The rain makes the sidewalks very slippery.
The floods don't happen every winter, hopefully they don't happen again.

Posted by
69 posts

For Lisbon in December think San Francisco. Daytime high temperatures in low 60s with rain off and on. For Porto think Seattle. A little cooler with more persistent rain. Dress appropriately and you will be fine!

Posted by
32 posts

I was in Lisbon for six days in December 2021 (Dec. 18-24, to be exact). I had two absolutely gorgeous days -- 65 and sunny -- and four days with rain part of the time and temps in the high 50s. It is definitely the rainy season but you can also luck out, and it will likely not be as flooded with tourists as other times of the year. It can definitely be "cold" depending on your definition, but it certainly won't be anywhere near freezing.

Posted by
79 posts

We were in Lisbon first week December 2022. It absolutely poured for a couple of days (we are from the wet coast of British Columbia but this rain event was ‘special’!!!). Other days were cool and overcast and drizzly. Not a great time to visit if you want to spend time outside walking etc but probably ok if you are indoors mostly. We left Lisbon a week earlier than planned cause of the weather!