Please sign in to post.

Portugal in Christmas time 2023

Planning to visit Portugal this xmas break, arriving on the 23rd in Porto, stay for 3 nights, then Lisbon, another 3 nights then Faro for 2 nights. If we rent a van for family of 8, is it doable to drive around these cities? Can we drive and park a van around Porto and also in Lisbon? How easy is it to find parking in these cities?

Posted by
45 posts

We parked our rental car in Villa Novi de Gaia at train station, then used Uber to get to our hotel. Cost was 6 euro per day. Garages closer to river and in Porto Costs for parking were 18-30 euro per day.

Lots of one way tight streets in both Porto and Lisbon.

I would skip Faro and add those 2 nights to Lisbon. But perhaps you already booked your airfare? Into Porto and out of Faro.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1780 posts

I would never want a car in either Porto or Lisbon. Parking is difficult to find and driving is not for the faint of heart. The streets are quite narrow in places, especially for a van. Even with 8 people, a train or long distance bus would likely be as cheap as a van, or less.

And, I agree to not go to Faro for only two nights. There is plenty to go in Lisbon to fill your time. But, if you really want a third destination, stop in Coimbra on the way between Porto and Lisbon. Much more quintessential Portugal.