Please sign in to post.

Portugal in April/May 2023

My husband & I are planning a 17-day trip (not including 2 air-travel days) from 04/24/23 - 05/12/23 beginning & ending in Lisbon. We are planning to travel through the country via public transportation (trains &/or buses) rather than renting a car to visit key cities.

Overnights destinations:

Lisbon: 6 (split between beginning & end of the trip)

Evora: 2

Ciombra: 3

Porto: 5

Day-trips from the 4 overnight destinations:

Cascais

Sintra - Would it be worth spending 2 nights here instead of 6 nights in Lisbon? Maybe toward the end of the trip?

Aveiro

Costa Nova - Not sure how to arrive here by bus or train

Duoro Valley (even if it's going to be "brown")

Guarda

We are in the very early planning stage & appreciate any suggestions. I borrowed 2 books from the library (Rick Steves, of course, & DK Eyewitness) which are helping. This forum provided great advice when I planned my 2018 Ireland trip & it's wonderful to be reaching out again! Thank you!

Posted by
1093 posts

I'd recommend taking a train on arrival day and heading to Porto. That way you will not need to split your stay in Lisbon. The train ride is pleasant and restful (good napping).

I'd pick Braga or Guimarães as day trips from Porto over Aveiro and Costa Nova. Easy by train. Aveiro and Costa Nova are nice enough, but not places I would return to.

JulieDawnFox is another good resource.
https://juliedawnfox.com/

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you for your suggestions, Gail. I will look into Braga or Guimarães and check out the link you provided!