Please sign in to post.

Portugal and Spain

We have a 17 day vacation this summer in Portugal and Spain ,planning to fly to Lisbon and depart from Barcelona . Needs any recommendation on the best itinerary and lodging . Thanks

Posted by
675 posts

I suggest that you get a couple of good guidebooks, including the ones that Rick Steves has. Then do a lot of reading on this forum plus the TripAdvisor Portugal and Spain forums plus the Travel Portugal Facebook page. Most of your questions have already been answered.

It's hard for us to suggest anything when we know nothing about who "we" is, what your interests are, do you plan to drive or take the train, what kind of budget you have, etc. etc.

EDIT, I just looked at your posting history, and see where you said that you will be spending nine days in Spain. Is this still your plan?

Posted by
597 posts

The best itinerary depends on you and what you want to see: Lisbon, Porto, Sevilla, Madrid, Granada, Cordoba, Barcelona,...
My opinion would be to limit yourself to 4 cities spending about 4 nights in each location you choose. 5 or more would be a little too rushed and you would be spending a lot of time traveling, packing, unpacking and changing lodging. My 2 cents opinion would be Lisbon, Sevilla, Granada and Barcelona.

Posted by
27135 posts

There are limited options for crossing the Spanish/Portuguese border on the ground. There are buses from the Algarve (including Faro) to Seville, and there are trains from Porto up to Galicia, the area where Santiago de Compostela is located. For a trip visiting the classic destinations in those two countries (some combination of Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada--which altogether is too much for 17 days), you're probably going to be stuck flying. Personally, I hate having to deal with airports in the middle of a trip.

Many people who start out planning to combine Spain and Portugal on a single trip decide not to do that when they realize how limited the ground-transportation options are.

Posted by
16 posts

Don't have much time to comment so just two quick thoughts on Spain:
Cordoba (the mosque, and for something different, the riding school demonstrations just down the street a ways)
Toledo (walk up to the parador before sunset and watch the sun go down and Toledo light up. Wow.)
OK: the pueblos blancos: Ronda
And Granada's Alcazar.
there. that does it.

Posted by
4 posts

We just returned from a 19 day trip to Portugal. Highlights were Sintra and the Douro Valley. We spent two nights in each place and could easily have stayed longer. A distant third was Porto. (Sorry, but Lisbon didn't make the cut!) In Spain, our favorites are Seville, Toledo and Salamanca. Some of the other cities like Barcelona and Granada had such crowds at the major sights, it took away from our enjoyment of the place. Final thought . . . we suggest you spend more time in Spain than in Portugal.

Posted by
7672 posts

17 days isn't enough to see both countries.
My favorite part of Portugal is Porto and the Douro River Valley.
For Spain, if you leave from Barcelona, you need four days for that city. Don't miss Madrid, Toledo and Segovia in Castile. Seville is another jewel of Spain. You will have a tough time deciding what to cut with only 17 days.

Posted by
136 posts

I suggest this route: Lisbon-Cascais-Sintra-Nazare-Coimbra-Porto-Douro Valley. I am assuming you're renting a car. You could head for Madrid by train, hitting Salamanca and Ávila. Maybe a day trip to Córdoba. Then take the AVE (high speed train) to Barcelona. It's maybe 2.5-3 hrs. A day trip up to Costa Brava to Lloret de Mar might be something you'd like. You can wander the beautiful coastline or spend time on the beach. I would have recommended Andalucía but that's a whole vacation in itself.