Please sign in to post.

Portugal 2018

We will be visiting Portugal sometime next year. Most likely in the fall, Sept/Oct. My question is what area of Lisbon is the best place to stay? I haven't decided if we will stay in a hotel or AirBnB. I am not sure how many days we should be there either. I am in the very beginning stages of planning the trip. Any tips are most welcome.

Posted by
1665 posts

My favorite areas are Chiado or Bairro Alto. But, only if you don't mind climbing hills. If hills are a problem, then Baixa or Avenida Liberdade.
There are many great vacation apartment rentals if you are staying several days.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your suggestions. In my research I read that the areas you mentioned are the best places to be for first time visitors.

Posted by
2 posts

Ola!

To keep this short and sweet, a friend and myself just got back from Portugal and used this itinerary to plan our trip around. I'm assuming you're young since you're mentioning Airb&b, so maybe it'll be of interest to you too. Regardless, there are other good Lisbon and Portugal itineraries on this website. There are some sites from Lisbon that are left out from this article, but I'll list below some hot spots to include on your trip.

https://wimbytravel.com/2017/09/24/the-lisbon-party-itinerary/

-Bairro Alto - Nightlife
- LX Factory - Hipsterish area to drink and go shopping
- Pink Street - Lot's more bars
- Alfama - Great view over the city, from one of its high hills. For the full experience, take a tuk tuk or tram
- Saint George's castle - Castle looking over the city
- Feira da Ladra - Lisbon massive flea market behind Saint Vincent's Church

Posted by
80 posts

Hello @donnam729,

It's great you're visiting my country - you'll love it ;)
Concerning your questions, I agree that Baixa is a good place to stay and there are many hotels and AirBnBs to consider at that locations...
About the days you should spend in the capital, it's subjective and depends on what you want to see / visit. If you're planning to visit museums, monuments, churches, than you should spend at least 5 days - this way you won't rush things. However, if you're just planning to visit a couple of monuments and stroll through the streets and feel the atmosphere, then 4 days would be enough.
You can spend the other days doing day trips/tours to Sintra (IMO one of the most amazing places in Portugal), Serra da Arrábida Natural Park, Cascais / Estoril..

Enjoy your trip ;)