Please sign in to post.

Porto to Lisbon over 5D/4N by bus

I was originally thinking to drive one way from Porto to Lisbon over 5D/4N. I am now looking at the possibility of doing this by bus/train. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on this matter? I have read there are not many buses running to the smaller towns on the weekend which could be an issue.
I was thinking something like the following:
Day 5: Fr Apr 13 (Port to Coimbra, night Coimbra)
Roman Ruins of Conimbriga and Coimbra
Day 6: Sa Apr 14 (Coimbra to Tomar, sleep Tomar)
Drop luggage at hotel first then Almourol Castle.
Day 7: Su Apr 15 (Tomar to Obidos, night Obidos)
Tomar to Batalha and Alcobaca Monasteries back to tomar then to Obidos.
Backtracking I know but only way I can see to deal with luggage.
Day 8: Mo Apr 16 (Obidos to Evora, night Evora)
Obidos in the morning and travel bus/train to Evora
Day 9: Tu Apr 17 (Evora to Lisbon, night Lisbon)
Evora in the morning, late afternoon train to Lisbon

Posted by
3150 posts

I can’t comment on using public transportation to visit all the places you name. You only have 5 days which is a very short time. If you can afford to rent a car, I would drive. It will be more efficient than depending on buses and trains and allow you to visit sites on your own schedule without wasting precious time. Another benefit would be that you don’t have to drag your luggage around. What will you do with your bag after you leave Coimbra and you want to make stops at Tomar, Batalha and Alcobaça? Just return the car as soon as you get to Lisbon.

Posted by
9 posts

I updated the itinerary with an idea about luggage.
I am sure there are better ideas about how to do this trip by bus.

Posted by
5687 posts

I am planning to do something similar (in the opposite direction) this spring, probably by train and bus, so I am following your threads, Fred. I can certainly see the benefit of renting a car - but I have even less time than you have and will spend most of my time in Porto and Lisbon and just do a few stops in between. so I really might not need a car. (And I love trains; any excuse to take a train somewhere is usually enough to bend my itinerary in the direction of train travel.)