My Daughter and I are planning a trip to Portugal end of September. Hoping it will be fine to visit by then. I have been doing a lot of research and there are so many wonderful sounding places to visit am concerned that I may be over-reaching on the itinerary. We visited Porto, Lisbon and Sintra in 2017 then flew to Sevilla and drove through the Pueblo Blanca’s in Andalusia, it was a great trip. We loved Portugal so much we decided to visit some of the interior. I would appreciate hearing opinions and or suggestions from the well-traveled people on this site.. I am having trouble getting things organized as far as visiting times and driving times. I know I might have to rethink my schedule and maybe cut out somethings.
We are leaving from Belgium on October 10th and we have a bit of flexibility as to when we leave Portugal for Belgium. (We will be staying at my daughters significant other’s condo in Sint Nicholas and that will be restful).
• Sunday, Sept 19, Arrive in Lisbon Airport 6:00pm
o Night at Airport (my daughter and I are arriving at different time and decided to stay near airport for convenience in meeting)
• Monday, Sept 20 early train to Evora – Night Evora
• Tuesday, Sept 21 stay in Evora or Rent Car in Evora Drive to Tomar and stay there
• Wednesday, Sept 22, Drive to Monsanto, stay Monsanto
• Thursday, September 23, Drive to Castelo Branco
• Friday, September 24, Drive to Schist Villages
• Saturday, Sept 25, find place to stay near villages.
• Sunday, Sept 26, Coimbra- Night in Coimbra - maybe visit Alcobaca, or Batala Abby
• Monday, Sept 27 Coimbra Visit Conímbriga for roman ruins – Night in Coimbria–
• Tuesday, Sept 28, Stop in Tentugal on way north – Maybe drive to coast to stay at little village Praia de Mira, looks like a nice sea front town. Or stay in Aveiro
• Wednesday, Sept 29th Drive to Braga,or Guimaraes (north of Porto) Stay there
• Thursday, Sept 30 Drive to Pinho – east part of Douro Valley Stay in Douro Valley Stay there
• Friday, Oct. 1, Drive through Douro Valley Stay in Douro
• Sat, Oct 2 Drive through Douro Valley - Stay in Douro or Porto
• Sunday, Oct 3 Porto
• Monday, Oct 4 Porto
• Tuesday, Oct 5 – fly to Belgium
Couple of specific questions:
• Should we stay 2 nights in Evora – train arrives at 10:35am (or so)
• Or we could spend second night in Tomar, leaving Evora in afternoon.
• Is Monsanto worth going kind of out of our way – if we didn’t go to Monsanto we wouldn’t go to Castelo Branco.
• Any best places to go in Douro Valley
• My idea is to come down from Guimaraes and head to the east end (or middle) of the Douro and end up in Porto
• And hotel suggestions
Many thanks, Susan