Please sign in to post.

Planning a family get together in 2023 - some want beach, others want history and culture!

Hi
Appreciate any suggestions that would assist me plan a family get together in Portugal in June 2023. The challenge is trying to accommodate everyone's idea of a holiday with some of the family loving exploring history sites and culture ( so not keen on the Algarve), while others will be seeking more of a beach vacation! and therefore not so keen on Lisbon!

Trying to please everyone is driving me crazy so I would be most grateful to receive any suggestions of recommend locations that might please (nearly) everybody!

Thanks

Paul

Posted by
5687 posts

You can enjoy a beach vacation say at Cascais - but get all the history and culture in Lisbon. Easy train ride between them.

Posted by
6113 posts

Staying in the coastal resorts of Foz do Arelho or Sao Martinho north of Lisbon gives you a good base to see Obidos, Tomar, Alcobaca and Batalha within an easy drive or alternatively, stay in Caldas da Rainha, a town with a good market and many traditional externally tiled buildings 8km inland from Foz.

Posted by
15102 posts

Trying to please everyone on a vacation is like dissecting a frog.......no one likes it and the frog dies.

Send the people who like the beach to the beach, the people who want history to historical places, and those who want culture to cultural places. And then you can all meet up in the evening on Zoom.

Sorry, I really can't help except to say you won't be able to please everyone. Come up with a compromise and perhaps part of the time, groups can split up to do what they want. No one says you have to be together 24/7.

Posted by
1323 posts

No one says you have to be together 24/7.

Agree. And no one says you to be together for the duration. Let some arrive a week before and soak up on beach time and let some stay a week after and soak up on culture.

Posted by
1944 posts

You need to tell the others to help you plan. If you are the one choosing everything, there will be a lot of blame if people don't like it.

Secondly, can you all just meet up at a central location for a couple of days to be together and then go on to various cities. That is how I do most of my travels with family. I plan for half the time by myself and then meet up with the relatives for a few days.

Don't try and plan others vacations.

Posted by
271 posts

Hi
You can stay in Lisbon for it's history and culture and use it as a base to visit other cultural areas like Sintra and the beach area between Lisbon and Cascais.
A short train ride from Lisbon ( about 30 minutes) is the best beach in the area, Praia de Carcavelos. There are other smaller beaches on the same train line, towards Cascais.
Carcavelos has a hotel about 100m from the west end of the beach but reviews aren't great.
https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/lisbon-beaches/Praia-Carcavelos-beach-Lisbon.html
Happy travels

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for your useful (and thought provoking!) responses to date.
Very helpful.
Best wishes

Paul