We are planning a 2-week driving tour in Portugal from Porto to Lisbon. It closely follows Rick's tour with small variations. Any suggestions for improvement- changes or additional stops? We like old architectural gems, ancient ruins, old towns, vistas, and art museums. Not so interested in places "X happened here" or "Y lived there".
I tried to maximize stays in hotels to minimize unpacking/packing and have a place to relax during the day in the cities.
- Porto (3 nights, take a car and leave early morning)
- Mateus Palace
- Need a suggested route between Mateus Palace and Bussaco, including a Douro winery to visit/have lunch. Need to be in Bussaco at a reasonable time for dinner. Is Porto- Mateus- Douro-Bussaco too ambitious for one day? 4.Bussaco (spend a night, see the palace and the park, drive to Coimbra)
- Coimbra (2 nights, leave early morning)
- Obidos (stay 3 nights, visit nearby towns) Which town in that area is a better base to spend three nights and visit nearby points 6 - 10?
- Evora (spend the night) 12 Lisbon (return the car and spend 3 nights). A train trip to Sintra.