Please sign in to post.

Need suggestions on towns/areas for villa/house rental in August 2025

We are looking to rent a house or villa with at least 2 other families in August 2025. We are looking to be somewhere that is no more than a couple of hours outside of a major airport which we could fly into direct from NYC. (I think that would be Lisbon and Faro)

Looking for suggestions on regions/towns where we can narrow our search down for a house. We will be at least 6 adults and 6 kids (ages 9-14).

We will want to do day trips to towns/villages, plus any natural or historical areas of significance. Vineyard visits would also be a plan for one of the days. Ideally we want enough to do to fill a week, but ideally with day trips no more than 60-90 min away.

Would love to hear any recommendations on towns/areas to help narrow our search down. Thanks.

Posted by
1281 posts

I do this kind of trip often with friends in the summer. We start by searching on Airbnb for the requirements we have - number of rooms, bathrooms, AC, pool etc. Using the map view you can search a large area. With a big group you will probably find that there aren’t that many options available that suit, so it’s just a case of narrowing down location from what’s possible.

Posted by
1768 posts

One thing to remember is that it will be very hot in the interior parts of the country, so Alentejo and upper Douro are areas I would not consider.

The Algarve (Faro) will be extremely crowded and there aren’t as many cultural things in that part of the country.

I agree with the previous poster about how to start.
Cascais has some quite large villas in the Quinta da Marinha area of town. Lots of things to visit within 60-90 minutes. Setubal might be a possibility, too. The Silver Coast area would be another area that would work, but I’m not familiar with what is available in large villas. The Porto area might also work, but stay closer to the coastal areas which would be more protected from the heat.

If you are accustomed to air conditioning, you might want to make certain it’s available. I rarely use mine, but when we have a few really hot days, it’s a life saver.