Please sign in to post.

Manteigas after Serra da Estrela fire in August 2022

Trying to find out the condition of Manteigas and surrounding area in Serra da Estrela since the devastating fire month. My husband and I planned to spend 3 nights in Manteigas at a B&B next spring, mainly to hike in the area, but we're hesitant now. The B&B owner says the fire did not affect the town and nearby hiking trails but we want to verify. The area was declared a 'state of calamity' on Aug 22 and the fire looks extensive in the Manteigas area on the fire maps. Nothing has been published about condition of the area since Aug 22.

Posted by
1780 posts

Since your trip is months away, I would suggest waiting until after the new year to see what’s going on then. A site that might be helpful is Safe Communities. It seems to be the best site I’ve found for up to date information about fires and any other problem happening in Portugal. By the new year, travel forums such as Trip Advisor might have more info on the Serra da Estrela. I rode through a fire area a few weeks ago around Aveiro. The smaller growth was already coming back. But, you are correct in being concerned as it will take years for the trees to return. Very sad year for Portugal.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for your post and info, kathrynj! Safe Communities Portugal looks like an excellent resource!