Please sign in to post.

Mainland Portugal + Azores June 2019

Hi all,

I'm in the very preliminary planning stages of a trip to the Azores in 2019. I'll have 8 full days on the ground (departing Friday night from Boston, leaving Sunday during day from Portugal) and we definitely would like to spend at least 4 days in the Azores. My question is - should we spend the entire week in the Azores or add one destination on mainland Portugal? If so, where? How do you recommend getting from the islands to the mainland?

We love hiking and want this to be a relaxing trip which is why we're limiting things to islands + 1 mainland spot vs. islands only. We will definitely be back to see more of Portugal some day!

Thanks!
Sherry

Posted by
472 posts

Hi Sherry,

I just sent you a private message with a link to my Azores guide.

I think you should just go to the Azores for 8 days. You can either stay on Sao Miguel for the entire trip or visit Santa Maria for 2-3 days and the rest for Sao Miguel. Save the mainland for another trip.

I think you will find 8 days is still not enough time for the Azores (there are 9 unique islands), but this will give you a great first experience there. Your hiking opportunites are almost endless for what you will encounter on the islands. Try to visit in the summer if possible.

Contact me anytime after reading the PDF guide.

Carl

Posted by
1 posts

I would love to be able to view the PDF travel guide - unsure of how many days to spend on each island and if we should also include Lisbon

Posted by
472 posts

12adouglas,

The link to the Azores guide was just sent to you. Contact me anytime with questions. Carl