Please sign in to post.

Madeira

We plan to take a side trip to Madeira from Porto in June. Are there additional travel restrictions or Covid testing we should be prepared for? Lodging suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello,
Madeira is a great place to visit. It really requires a car rental to get on top of the 'mountains'. We rented an amazing place north west of the capital through airbnb. Food, especially the beef and chicken roasted on skewers over open flames are fantastic.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
691 posts

Hi Diane
Just got back from Madeira 10 days ago. From Porto to Madeira not test needed and no locator form.
When you return to the mainland you will have to fill out another locator form.
We rented an apartment in the center of Funchal.
Hope you like as much as we do (second visit)

Posted by
27109 posts

At the time of my visits to Madeira, both of them decades ago, there was pretty decent bus service on the island. I managed to get around quite a bit without a car, albeit more slowly than those with wheels.

Posted by
1322 posts

We came back from Madeira three weeks ago - second visit. First visit we stayed away from Funchal and that was a mistake since Funchal was the place where we spent most of our time and it cost us an hour bus transport each way ch time we went to Funchal. This time we rented an apartment (found on booking.com) just next to the cable car and that was perfect. We rented a car for two days to go around the island and spent a night in Porto Moniz. The roads are VERY interesting for a driver from flat Demark :-)

As the previous poster we found that Madeira has fewer restrictions than mainland Portugal, but we still needed to carry face masks and be ready to put them on, which was a change since Denmark is now restriction free.

Last time we spent 5 days on the island Porto Santo near by and I can heartily recommend that if you just want to relax and swim.

Posted by
1829 posts

Just returned from Madeira.
No testing requirement to enter.
Masks are required to be worn in every indoor establishment (on cable cars, in taxis, stores, restaurants, hotels, etc...) everywhere indoors unless eating or drinking.
Santizier is often available.
No restrictions, everything open and normal, restaurants/hotels have buffets open, etc..

We stayed in Funchal (Cliff Bay) and rented a car the entire time. Happy with both those decisions.
While there are things to do in Funchal proper you do not need a car for, much of the island's beauty is not served well by public transport and would be shame to spend the entire time at the hotel or at the Funchal city sights.
There is parking in Funchal though may have to pay if you prefer to drive into town from where you are staying.
I went more for the nature/scenery than the relaxation or city but enjoyed all aspects of it. Was a place uniquely suited to our family's travel interests for this reason so would not rule out a future return stay.