Please sign in to post.

Luggage Left in Vehicle?

We are driving from staying Lisbon to staying Quarteria and would like to stop for lunch in Evora and tour a little; is it safe to leave our luggage in the car? Of course not our valuables?

Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
440 posts

As long as not on display and car is locked it will be fine. Dont give anybody a reason to try and break in to the car

Posted by
6113 posts

Don't leave any luggage visible. Many hire cars have the rear parcel shelf removed, so this maybe an issue.

Posted by
477 posts

I know this isn't what you asked, but have you considered staying a night in Evora? It is a lovely town, with much to see, and the surrounding Alentejo area has lots of little towns to explore as well.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello Jean,

As long as you don't leave anything on sight it won't be a problem (even if you did, I think it would be fine, but don't risk it) - Portugal is one of the safest countries in the world ;)

Enjoy Portugal ;)

Posted by
490 posts

Thanks all; we have a station wagon so will bring a large cover for our belongings...hope this is sufficient! We don't have a choice as we're driving from one area to another and will have our luggage with us!
Jean

Posted by
7179 posts

Jean, are you hoping to get an accurate and useful answer, or the answer you hope for and prefer? Are you also aware of the urban reality that you should never be seen hovering around and placing stuff in the car after you park? I would not rely on an airline blanket over a pile of suitcases to persuade a thief that there is nothing in your car.

Posted by
26829 posts

I don't have a good feeling about what you propose to do, but perhaps you will be lucky.

Perhaps you should consider doing what someone else mentioned on the forum within the last few days--running a heavy chain though the handles of all the bags in the car and padlocking it.

Posted by
490 posts

OMG ... I never said I was bringing an airline blanket...I'm bringing a large plastic dark cover...We've driven all over Europe including Britain and Never had an issue; just reading about this issue in Spain & Portugal so was a little concerned! I already received an accurate response prior to yours Tim and I would never arrange our luggage prior to leaving our car somewhere; it would already be covered!!!

We really don't have a choice but to leave some of our luggage while stopped from one apt./hotel to another; as I said we've done this before but have been advised that Portugal/Spain has cars broken into so was just asking about it!

As to packing a heavy chain that isn't an option when flying....

J

Posted by
26829 posts

I wasn't expecting you to pack the chain, but rather to buy one in Europe.

Posted by
6113 posts

I have had the lock on a hire car jemmied whilst at a beach on the Algarve, but they didn't get in, they just damaged the car. Likewise, I have also had my handbag stolen from the cottage we were staying in, but I had left the front door open for a few minutes, so that is my fault! I didn't expect someone to cross the garden, enter and steal my bag in the short time whilst I was getting changed to go to the beach!

It hasn't put me off going back to Portugal - I have been back numerous times since and I am going again next month, but it has made me more aware.