Please sign in to post.

Looking for accommodations in Lisbon, Sintra and Algarve in Fall 2020

Hi,
My husband and I are planning our first trip to Portugal in the fall of 2020. We just returned from our first time in Europe (Paris/Italy) and fell in love. Thanks to all the advice and posts from this forum, we wouldn't have had such a great trip without all of the planning and recommendations provided.
We have 14 nights in Portugal. Lisbon and Sintra we would prefer a good neighbourhood with a local vibe, cobblestone streets and less of a tourist area. Is a balcony recommended in these area? We prefer to do our own thing, walking, biking, eating and cafe's.

In Algarve, we would like to have a balcony overlooking the sea.

Thanks,
Kelly

Posted by
6113 posts

Local vibe, cobblestone streets and less of a tourist area is the polar opposite of what the Algarve actually is - mostly purpose built resorts and golf complexes, with tourists outnumbering locals by quite some margin. There are plenty good beaches closer to Lisbon such as Sao Martinho do Porto, Foz do Arelho or Comporta, which are places with fewer northern European tourists and more locals.

Five nights is a good time to spend in Lisbon and Sintra is a good overnight stay, as is Evora. Porto is compact and can be seen in one full day at a push, plus you can get to the Douro from there.

I like the towns between Lisbon and Porto, such as Tomar, Caldas da Rainha and Alcobaca for the local vibe that you are seeking.

Posted by
15582 posts

The historic center of Sintra is small. It's all touristy during the day because of the day trippers from Lisbon, but the evenings are quiet. The train station is a 10-15 minute walk from the center, not nearly as charming but more "local" with some good restaurants.

Posted by
1666 posts

With 14 nights, I would skip the Algarve. I totally agree with Jennifer’s description. You get the things you are describing in many places in Portugal but not the Algarve.

If you want off the tourist track in Lisbon, rent areas other than Chiado, Baixa, Alfama or Barrio Alto. That said, the ones I mention are so picturesque I usually recommend them. If you truly want off the tourist track, Campo do Ourique is a very family oriented area with not a tourist shop in sight.

Finding sea views won’t happen in Lisbon or Porto (which you should add to your list), but areas between the two would get you those views. Even a number of towns between Lisbon and Cascais on the commuter train line would have sea views if you want.

And, don’t worry about finding cobblestones - they are literally everywhere in Portugal.