Please sign in to post.

Lisbon to Seville

I need to get from Lisbon to Seville. It seems the two main options are
1 going down to the Algavre (e.g. Tavira) then bus to Huelva and train to Seville.
2 going from Lisbon to Merida then train to Seville.

1 : allows a trip to the Algavre and some quaint towns. But despite watching many videos on the area, I am a bit underwhelmed. Nice but not amazing from what I can see unless you go to one of the place with natural sea caves which require a car
2 : allows for the fine Roman ruins in Merida, but I get different train times from Lisbon to Merida from 4-6 hours. It would seem a stop in Evora for the night might be worthwhile but adds more hours to the trip

I guess my question is two fold : how fast/reliable are the trains from Lisbon to Merida. And is there some amazing aspect to Tavira that trumps Merida?

Posted by
332 posts

1- Lisbon to Faro by train , Faro to Seville by bus.
The bus terminal is whitin walking of the train station.

2- Lisbon to Badajoz train requires transfer at Entroncamento. Badajoz to Seville train.
The difference in time between Lisbon and Badajoz depends on which train you choose between Lisbon and Entroncamento ( AP fastest, R slowest) and the time waiting for the transfer.

This implies not stopping/sightseeing.
The faster way is to fly from Lisbon to Seville, probably cheaper if you can get a discounted ticket, it's 1hour flight.

Posted by
649 posts

I checked the flights and they were more like $165 each plus whatever luggage charges.

Posted by
134 posts

Depending on how advance you book ticket and time of the year, cheap 19 euro fare is possible plus luggage charges.

For last minute situation with checked bags, option number 1 suggested by autopone is easy
It is rather long journey as efficient rail connectivity between these two Iberian countries remain a thing for future

If there are 3-4 people in traveling party, it might be much more efficient and not that much more expensive to hire a private car+driver to take you directly from Lisbon hotel to Sevile hotel with may be some sightseeing on the way (Evora for example)

We used such service for Lisbon to Porto transfer with many stops along the way and recommended to friends one of which ended using them for Lisbon to Seville transfer with short stop at Evora