Please sign in to post.

Lisbon tips

We just got back from a few days in Lisbon/Sintra. Weather sounds awful there right now, but hopefully these tips are still valuable:

1) The RS self-guided walks in Lisbon are all fantastic, and you should do all of them. But the three walks take up a full day. You may want to do Alfama stroll (starting with the Castle - I wouldn't "skip" it!) and Baixa stroll on one day, and then Barrio Alto/Chiado stroll on another day, so that you can do all the little side things/museums that RS recommends.

2) When doing the Alafama walk, definitely get lunch at Miss Can! Great place!

3) You must do dinner (get the 30 euro/person tasting menu at A Taberna do Mar in Graca.)

4) Time Out Market was also fantastic for food.

5) A great option for shopping if you're interested is to focus on Chiado and check out Isto (all clothes made sustainably in Portugal -- especially good for casual menswear); dishware at Cerâmicas na Linha (R. Capelo 16 -- I think it's their outlet location?), and more made in Portugal housewares/clothing at Burel Mountain Originals (two locations, right next to one another).

Happy to field more questions!

Best,
Dave

Posted by
2666 posts

Thanks for the tips!!! I’m hoping to make it to Portugal in 2024.

Didn’t you just get back from Switzerland? 😊 Sounds like you were lucky to go to both great places.

Posted by
33 posts

Carrie:

Yep, it was a Portugal --> Switzerland trip!

Posted by
72 posts

Dave,

I am planning a trip for next year to Switzerland, France, Spain and Portugal. I especially appreciate the trip reports!!

Beth

Posted by
33 posts

You’re all very welcome! If you wanna chat more, don’t know if there’s pming here, but happy to provide my email!

Posted by
161 posts

Not a major point, but I'm a bit curious: among the smaller museums listed in the Rick Steves guide, was there any mention of the Museum of Resistance and Liberty (also known as the Aljube, the old name for the building in which it's housed), in the Alfama?

Posted by
33 posts

Yes, he gives it one triangle. I am sad I missed it, as it was on my list for this time. Will catch it on my next trip!

Posted by
161 posts

Thanks for checking; good to know he mentions it. I found the museum inspiring, but unfortunately I sort of suspect that one triangle is not one of his high ratings, though I could be wrong.

Posted by
24 posts

We just returned from Lisbon earlier in July and I second most of these options (we did not do the tasting menu mentioned above)! I would also add a visit to the Tile Museum - it was one of my favorite things we did. And we did a Sintra tour through Lisbon Riders which I would highly recommend! Alfama, Baixa/Barrio Alto/Chiado/ strolls, Time Out Market that David mentioned are all wonderful.