Please sign in to post.

Lisbon car rental

Planning on a trip to Portugal in April 2018. For 8 days I will be renting a car. I have explored multiple car rental sites and there appear to be many complaints about multiple different car rental agencies. Most relating to add on charges and detailed car inspection afterward incurring fees if additional CDW policies are not purchased from the rental agency. I have two questions:
1. Has anyone had a good experience and if so with whom?
2. I was planning traveling to Spain for 1/2 day and wonder if any one knows of any restrictions in doing so?

Posted by
1056 posts

I rented a car from Hertz (through Auto Europe) in Lisbon last July and travelled around Portugal and to Spain, returning the car to Lisbon. Although the lines at the airport were long, once I got to the rental desk the service was great. I bought the full insurance, which proved to be providential, as I got a large scrape on one door when an Air B n B host offered to help me back out of a narrow parking space with a pillar on one side, giving me very poor directions. When I turned the car in, the attendant said, “ Don’t worry, you’re covered,” and that was that.

I would caution you not to accept any offers to upgrade to a larger car, as inner historic city roads in Spain and Portugal can be very narrow, so much so that our tiny Fiat 500 barely fit through some of them.

Posted by
1669 posts

I’ve rented a car three times since moving here and have had no problems. I always use Auto Europe and have done so for many years with good results. In Portugal, Auto Europe uses Europcar - at least when I’ve rented.

You might want to consider renting at a smaller town to avoid driving in Lisbon. On my scouting trip I rented in Coimbra and returned to Cascais. I’ve rented in Evora after taking the train there, then have rented here in Cascais once and did a long road trip to northern Spain. You don’t need or want a car in Porto or Lisbon. And, I had no problems driving into Spain as long as a I returned the car in Portugal.

And I agree about getting a relatively small car, both for narrow streets in small towns and for parking.

Posted by
98 posts

Rented from Sixt in Lisbon (as we were leaving to head to Porto) and then dropped off in Porto. No extra charges for dropoff and had pretty handy city center locations (so you didn't have to go to airport). Had good results. Gave me an automatic (and didn't even have to ask). Agree about getting smallest car you think you can fit with (you will be glad you did)

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned I am renting the car as I am leaving Lisbon so I will not be using it there. Looks like there has been some success with Auto Europe so I'll pick a high ranking company on their site. Last check did not have Hertz or SIXT on it. There will be 4 of us in the car with 4 carry-ons so I can't go with the smallest car but will try to minimize as much as I can. I was hoping for a Volkswagon Golf but sounds like that may be too big. Any thoughts on what size I would need?

Posted by
1829 posts

If you have 4 adults plus bags the smallest I think you would fit in is going to be a Compact Car
similar to a Golf.

Keep in mind though, even though it seems like you are picking a car, you are only picking a car class type.
Your Golf booked could be a different car in the same class.

For my upcoming Lisbon rental I used Auto Europe for a Europcar ; booked a Compact which is listed as a Puegot 308 Diesel or similar. Who knows what I will get? Maybe a Puegot, maybe a VW Golf instead.
The next step up is Midsize and in my experience is offered at outrageous costs in Portugal and may start to get bigger than you want for the roads and parking anyway.
The step down will be too small for your party and luggage ; you are going to be tight in a Compact Class I imagine

If you are worried about the damages and inspection type stuff, just use Auto Europe booking a Europcar and pay when booking for the full insurance. That will make it mostly stress free. Plan on needing a toll transponder rental which will add to the costs at the counter.
Entering Spain should be no issue as long as returning the car to Portugal and not Spain. Not sure if you drive on any auto type toll roads in Spain though so something you would want to look into.