Please sign in to post.

Lisbon-Barcelona - but what in between?

I also posted this question (with some slight modification) on the Spain forum, but I figured that the Portugal forum might have a unique perspective on this.

My husband and I are doing a trip in November (flights are booked...so if November is a bad time, it's too late to change it) flying into Lisbon (landing on a Thursday around 8 AM) and flying out of Barcelona (flying out on Saturday over a week later). We are trying to decide what to do in the middle.

As it stands right now, we are planning to do Lisbon, Sevilla/Granada, and Barcelona. The only flights from Lisbon to Sevilla appear to be first thing Saturday morning or last thing Sunday afternoon.

He and I are both interested in spending a couple of days (or more) in Lisbon and a two-three days in Barcelona. (I have been to Barcelona before and loved it...I think he will like it a lot too). We tend to like to "settle into" places instead of running from one hotel to the next. I am worried that if we cram in Sevilla/Granada (he is dead-set on the Alhambra if we make it to southern Spain), we will end up doing Thursday afternoon and Friday in Lisbon and wishing we had more time. I also worry that we are unlikely to go back to Portugal any time soon, but much more likely to head back to Spain in the future. Should we just do Lisbon and Barcelona and supplement with daytrips?

For reference, we did a week-long trip last year to Rome and Florence...Rome was very interesting to us from a history perspective, but Florence felt like more of an "Italian experience." We liked having a bit of both.

Posted by
323 posts

We traveled to Lisbon in 2013 and just loved it. Don't sell it short, it has lots of things to do and places to visit around Lisbon. We spent seven days there and didn't do it justice to a lot of things in and around there. Sintra is a very interesting place and a day trip out of Lisbon. And if you think you would go back to Spain, save Alhambra and Seville for a later trip. We were going to go back to Lisbon this year, but we have not been to Paris or any part of France, so that is where we are going in Sept. But we really considered Lisbon, and we probably will go back. And, yes, I would do Lisbon and Barcelona and nothing in between. We did a lot, but we had two months.

Posted by
479 posts

My thoughts are Lisbon and Barcelona only. You say you like to settle into places, and if you try to do all 3 you will have only 2 full days in each place. You will also be in the airport 4 times for a 9 day trip, which to my mind is way too much travel time. We enjoyed 5 night in both Lisbon and Barcelona; but I've not been to Sevilla/Granada, so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Posted by
119 posts

In my opinion, one week is not enough for either Lisbon or Barcelona. As has been suggested, I would split your time evenly between the two. There are several budget airlines that fly between Lisbon and Barcelona - there is a list on Rick's website. I have flown Vueling on that route. This is a no-frills, everything has a fee airline. Even with the extra fees, it is a good deal.