Please sign in to post.

Lisbon apartments

After spending a week in Portugal, I have decided to spend a month in Lisbon in April and, as an 82 year old single woman, want to have a safe and not too hilly neighborhood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
1582 posts
Posted by
1671 posts

I am going to respectfully disagree with the other poster. Chiado is quite hilly, plus it’s one of the more touristy areas in Lisbon. I do agree there are good transportation options in the area.

When I moved to Lisbon four years ago, I stayed the first month in the Campo do Ourique area - mainly because it is flat. It’s a family area - and one for older people and (at least four years ago) had very few tourists. It has a Mercado that is quite lovely, a good size Pingo Doce (grocery) and is close to Amoreiras Mall. There is a lovely small park where the older men in the neighborhood play cars every day and is very charming.

It was perfect for me as I wanted to avoid the hills, too.

As far as safety - Portugal is consistently rated in the top ten safest countries in the world. Pretty much wherever you stay will be safe - other than the pickpocket risk in the more touristy areas.

You might want to check out Campo do Ourique before you decide. Another option is one of the towns on the commuter train line to Cascais. Carcavelos is pretty flat and has a lovely large beach.

If you do come, I can give you information on a very large women’s club with many activities from Lisbon to Cascais. It’s a great way to meet other English speaking women.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much for your help. Still searching for the right apt. Either way, would love to meet you for lunch while I'm there. approx Apr 1 - May 4.
Best,
Laura

Posted by
4 posts

Apartment has been booked for the month of April. Neighborhood is Rua Braamcamp. Looking forward to meeting you and other energetic, English speaking people while I'm there.
Lauramil66@aol.com