Please sign in to post.

Lisbon and Algarve

Planning a family trip for August. 8 people, 2 young 60's and 6 in their late 20's. Thinking 3 days in Lisbon and 3-4 days some where in the Algarve. Will have a car and will want to stay in only 2 places Lisbon and one other so we don't have to pack and unpack. Is that enough time? Where in the Algarve should we use as base?
Thanks

Posted by
1671 posts

If you are really set on the Algarve, Lagos is a lovely town. It's big enough to have lots of restaurants and a nice downtown. But not overwhelmed with high rise developments. Tha beaches and areas along the coast are great. Bear in mind, August in the Algarve is very busy.
That said, there are a lot of beaches closer to Lisbon with the advantage of very interesting attractions along with the beaches. Obidos, Alcobaca, Batalha to name a few.

I would encourage you to make hotel/vacation rental arrangements soon since that is such a busy time.
You didn't say if you were planning to have a car in Lisbon. You definitely don't need it in the city since public transport is great. And, the traffic and finding parking is a real challenge.

Posted by
6113 posts

With such a short trip, I would base myself in Lisbon and somewhere such as Foz do Arelha which is coastal, or nearby Caldas da Rainha, but closer to Lisbon and a great location for exploring. Good beaches and many restaurants. The sea is cold in Portugal, even in August as it's the Atlantic not the Med.

The Algarve will be far too busy to be pleasurable in August. If it has to be the Algarve, I agree that Lagos is your best option. You may struggle to find accommodation for 8 for less than a week in August in the Algarve. Bookings there are very high this year.

Posted by
2 posts

Sounds like good advice. Now I am thinking of just staying up north between Lisbon and Porto. Maybe using those two as bases and doing a couple of day trips from each base. Does that make more sense?
Thanks for the input.

Posted by
119 posts

If I was faced with your situation, I would be tempted to rent a house or several apartments in Lisbon for the week. There are lots of things to do in Lisbon and the surrounding area for both age groups. Good beaches accessible with public transportation, lots of night life for the youngsters, and plenty of good day trips available. With a large group, it will be difficult to do everything together, and Lisbon seems a better choice. Many rental choices in Lisbon, and on the commuter train line between Lisbon and Cacais.